What Are Some Good Otc Cleaners For Kitties With Yeasty Ears?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been using the Zymox Enzymatic Solution drops that were recommended for Buddy's yeasty ears that the vet said are due to his food allergies. But because we've learned that sometimes trying something different every now and then can make all the difference in the world, I just thought I'd check with y'all to see what works best for your cats with yeasty ears.

Any suggestions? :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not OTC, but what worked for my girl with chronic yeasty ears was putting her under sedation and a deep ear clean by the vet followed by an application of BNT ear ointment. We also put her on a daily antihistamine for her allergies. That really helped her get over the yeast infection.

I would also think colloidal silver would work. I currently use it with my kitty who is prone to upper respiratory infections caused by herpes and allergies. We also give her 1 drop in each nostril as needed for excessive sneezing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not OTC, but what worked for my girl with chronic yeasty ears was putting her under sedation and a deep ear clean by the vet followed by an application of BNT ear ointment. We also put her on a daily antihistamine for her allergies. That really helped her get over the yeast infection.

I would also think colloidal silver would work. I currently use it with my kitty who is prone to upper respiratory infections caused by herpes and allergies. We also give her 1 drop in each nostril as needed for excessive sneezing.
Sedation, huh? Eep! But I'm glad the deep ear cleaning worked for your kitty. :)

Thankfully, Buddy's ears don't get anywhere nearly as gunky as they used to since we eliminated chicken and some other stuff from his diet. But it's still a work in progress, and it seems that every time we take a step forward, we wind up taking two or three steps back. :wink:

What is the ppm for the colloidal silver that you use? We have some on hand, but it's pretty weak, like maybe 30 ppm.

Oh, gosh, I wish I could get Buddy to sneeze so he could blow out some of that snot! A couple of years or so ago, he'd sneeze up a storm after pooping in the litterbox. I guess that really opened up his sinuses! :lol:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use 10ppm on our kitties. I give my herpes girl 1/4t 2x a day in her wet food. For her issues, it has not been a quick fix, but we have seen such drastic improvement over the last 3 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use 10ppm on our kitties. I give my herpes girl 1/4t 2x a day in her wet food. For her issues, it has not been a quick fix, but we have seen such drastic improvement over the last 3 months.
That's amazing! I'm glad your kitty is doing much better. :)

I've read that some people put colloidal silver in their cats' water bowls, and that kitties who normally aren't big water drinkers will suddenly start lapping it up like crazy. We've just never had the nerve to give it a try. But I have to confess, there have been times when I've been awfully tempted! You can lead a cat to water, but you can't make him drink...or something like that. ;)

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always used Zymox for Hawkeye. He had that problem for awhile, but it's been over a year, and it has yet to return.