What are good things to acclimate a kitten to while still young?

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found minish when she was 2 months old left outside in a box. She was horribly underweight so I guess she wasn't in a home before that. When I took her in she peed in the bathroom herself. I took her outside and she was afraid to pee in grass taller than herself. That's how I got the first litter box. I put a bit of her poop in it and showed her. she used it right away. After she grew up a bit, she preferred outside but sometimes she pees outside and poops inside where she feels safer.
We had fostered a stray since kitten and she only did it outside. She would rake the door screaming if she were inside.
I wouldn't know for your kitten but any small box would do for now, it won't be difficult to try.

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found minish when she was 2 months old left outside in a box. She was horribly underweight so I guess she wasn't in a home before that. When I took her in she peed in the bathroom herself. I took her outside and she was afraid to pee in grass taller than herself. That's how I got the first litter box. I put a bit of her poop in it and showed her. she used it right away. After she grew up a bit, she preferred outside but sometimes she pees outside and poops inside where she feels safer.
We had fostered a stray since kitten and she only did it outside. She would rake the door screaming if she were inside.
I wouldn't know for your kitten but any small box would do for now, it won't be difficult to try.
I do have a spare dishpan I could try using that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update (in case anyone reads this thread later in search of advice): Definitely wish I had been able to introduce her to more people in her space when she was a younger kitten. It wasn't feasible because of COVID-- the only person I have had over was my mother, and it was only once when things seemed calm in October. She was totally chill and greeted my mother with sniffs and rubs. Now I've got a handyman in the house and she bolted as soon as she sensed him at the open door, and now she's hiding in the secret tunnel under the sofa. I realize this isn't too unusual but it is for her, and I wish I could have exposed her more when she was younger. Sigh.

Babycat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update (in case anyone reads this thread later in search of advice): Definitely wish I had been able to introduce her to more people in her space when she was a younger kitten. It wasn't feasible because of COVID-- the only person I have had over was my mother, and it was only once when things seemed calm in October. She was totally chill and greeted my mother with sniffs and rubs. Now I've got a handyman in the house and she bolted as soon as she sensed him at the open door, and now she's hiding in the secret tunnel under the sofa. I realize this isn't too unusual but it is for her, and I wish I could have exposed her more when she was younger. Sigh.
Maybe it isn’t too late. Perhaps when some1 comes over they can sit on the floor n toss tasty treats n slowly lure her out, eventually letting her take treat from their hand followed by a little pet. With some frequency/ consistency with different ppl maybe she’ll get used to ppl. Worth a try.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe it isn’t too late. Perhaps when some1 comes over they can sit on the floor n toss tasty treats n slowly lure her out, eventually letting her take treat from their hand followed by a little pet. With some frequency/ consistency with different ppl maybe she’ll get used to ppl. Worth a try.
After I posted, she did come out of hiding and cautiously approach the area where the handyman was working. She even sniffed some of his belongings on the floor, and she stuck around even through some drilling and hammering. It was actually so adorable: she kept looking over at me, as if to keep checking with me to make sure things were ok.

Eventually she ran and hid again, and she remained easily startled even after he had left (something I've never seen in her before). But now her tail is back to normal and all in all, I'm proud of her.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I kind of have a similar problem. We got our kitten (who is now just over 1-1/2) a few months before Covid hit. She had very little access to other people in general since we don't do a lot of entertaining. So the only other people she's seen for the most part are those at the vet - who are the ones doing things to her she dislikes, even though they love her. And sadly has been at the vet too much in this timeframe being messed with one way or another.

She's really not good with anyone that comes into our home, always looking for a quick escape hatch. It's a real problem since eventually this will be over and we'll need someone to watch the cats so we can go on vacation. I'm so worried she won't deal with this well at all.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just like that and will never warm up to strangers at first. My cats stay hidden completely for at LEAST two days when my grandson visits. They only come out when he is still asleep. Now when Casper was still alive, he never did hide and came to greet him. I think it is more of their personality than their being exposed. My cats have been exposed to MANY people and they hide every time.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just like that and will never warm up to strangers at first. My cats stay hidden completely for at LEAST two days when my grandson visits. They only come out when he is still asleep. Now when Casper was still alive, he never did hide and came to greet him. I think it is more of their personality than their being exposed. My cats have been exposed to MANY people and they hide every time.
True, and even when exposed and acclimated to more people at a young age.
Luna is from a breeder, and we know she got a lot of socialization from a young age and was friendly to people when we brought her home. She just could be one of those cats with a natural hesitancy. Hard to tell though. Nature/nuture etc.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
True, and even when exposed and acclimated to more people at a young age.
Luna is from a breeder, and we know she got a lot of socialization from a young age and was friendly to people when we brought her home. She just could be one of those cats with a natural hesitancy. Hard to tell though. Nature/nuture etc.
For Juno, this is the first hesitancy I've ever seen in her. She's relatively good at the vet (squirmy but not fearful) and she was almost immediately curious and friendly when my mom came over a few months ago. The only other time I've seen her hide was when she fell off the stairs as a young kitten. I, too, worry about cat sitting once COVID was over. I assumed it would be fine because she was such a confident kitty and seemed to accept my mom right away, but this was a whole different side of her today I've never seen. But I was heartened to see that came out to explore after a while.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish greets delivery guys but bolts when she sees a toddler or people carrying big boxes. Not a problem at all, makes her safer.
Kittens take emotional cues from the owner. That's how minish is not frightened of construction noises or thunder. You can encourage your cat to socialize with visitors by being enthusiastic yourself