What Age Do Male Cats Generally Start Spraying?

kittycat93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently have a 4 month old kitten whose balls have grown quite large. My vet wants to wait until he’s 6-7 months to neuter him so he has time to grow. I’m just worried about spraying. How does it usually start, gradually or do you think I may come home one day to him spraying everywhere?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends on the cat, generally speaking boy won't start spraying until they are physically and psychologically mature which is usually 12-18 months old.

I find it funny when vets cite growth reasons as delaying neutering. More recent studies have actually shown that early neuter will result in more growth then a late neuter. The theory being that instead of hormones rerouting growth to traditional male features like jowls the bones continue to grow. Young neutered males are longer and taller then their late neutered counterparts.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The youngest it usually starts is 8-10 months. I can't guarantee that your boy won't be a super early bloomer, but you're probably safe!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only ever had females who sprayed. It isn't just the boys!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Charlie neutered when he was six months old, so he never had a chance to start spraying. It was based both on prior experience and my vet’s recommendation.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Going off what Keika said, I find it funny vets say that about growth too. Gizmo was neutered at 10 weeks old and I'm not even sure he's a cat, he may be a small horse. He's a very long boy and he wears his 13lbs very well.