What a Pleasant Cat!

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have medicine that needs to be dispensed from an eye dropper. None of my cats like this. Eppie is an extreme case.

Eppie is a pleasant lap cat, yet she absolutely will not tolerate the eye dropper. Scratch, scratch, scream, scream.

Where does a person go from here?

MindyStClairesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two people. You will need a towel. There are some great YouTube Videos about how to hold a cat to give liquid medicine. I was trying to give Panacur (very bitter & chalky). I will admit that I got 2 doses down (of 5) and then insisted on a topical wormer that is applied like flea spot-on treatments -- there is probably another way to get the meds in the cat . . . probably (but I am not that kind of a doctor).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try adding the med to just a little bit of 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken and see if Eppie will lap it up. You can give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.

There are also tons of lickable treats or baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2) that you can mix with the meds. I have had success with all of these methods - even a med that caused Feeby to foam at the mouth when given via oral syringe.

You can even take a bite of canned food and mix it with the med, let her eat it and then give her the rest of her meal once she is done.