What a change

ruby6689

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It's Winter in Australia so time to bring out the jackets. 

Eddie, the colour point of questionable breeding, is not at all an affectionate cat reserving his love for our Staffy Cross dog but he has turned into a different cat. Since he has had his jacket every night he sits on the lounge right up against us and twice has sat on our laps purring loudly. His normal spot is under the coffee table just out of reach but where he can keep an eye on us. He even stands still while you put it on each night!

Mittens on the other hand hates hers so as she has a nice long coat I have not been putting one on her anymore.

Has anyone else seen a change in their cats behaviour like this? It has me puzzled but very happy. 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Awww! I love their jackets!

How old is Eddie? it may just be that he's calming down as he ages.

It may also be that his jacket is acting a bit like a thunder shirt (often used to help calm animals down) for him, or that he's just decided that maybe everyone isn't so bad. Our Freya used to absolutely hate new things, no matter what they were. Then around the 6 month mark, she would decided abruptly that it wasn't new anymore and hence she loved it. It was funny, but a bit odd.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruby6689

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ms. Freya. Eddie has just turned one. I never gave the 'Thunder Blanket' a thought but that makes sense. I have heard of them for dogs.

I ran this one up in 10 mins the other night and will make him a better fitting one now that I know he likes it.

I wonder if his aloof behaviour will return once winter is over.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's really interesting!  Their jackets are so cute too!!  They look cozy! Working like a thunder shirt came to mind too.  

Since he just turned 1; he could be calming down too.  My cats go through different cuddly phases and preferred places.  Noodles is our "grumpy cat" and always gives Mooch my lap; but she alternates between curling up at my feet, head, the back of the couch or not in the room at all!  

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is so cute! I cannot imagine mine would wear jackets but now I'm tempted to try, at least on my boy who is aloof and doesn't love snuggles!