Wevura Bff Recall - Australia

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wevura posted that the amount of thiamine in the Bff tins was not up to the standard required to maintain a healthy cat.

I apologise for not tacking this on to the thread. I tried to find it but it eluded me.

shadowplay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder how long their food was produced without enough thiamine. So scary and sad for cats that were fed this. Was this due to different standards (their AAFCO equivalent) in Australia, or was it a matter of a lack of proper testing and oversight. I'm definitely wary of feeding Weruva to my babies at the moment, and now unsure if any brand is really safe. Thanks for updating!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I was under the impression that this had caused serious illness among cats and, tragically, even some fatalities. Would insufficient thiamine be enough of a reason to cause this? I suppose this must have been an issue over a longer span of time as opposed to one bad batch of food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
shadowplay, it was according to AAFCO standards.

I do have to say that there was testing of ONE of the Cats in the Kitchen range by our major consumer group here (also using AAFCO guidelines) and it was recommended. I tend to rotate my cats' food because I don't really trust pet food manufacturers anyway.

Yes Abyeb, thiamine deficiency almost killed a relative's kittens, and yes she'd been doing it for awhile without rotating.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
shadowplay, it was according to AAFCO standards.

I do have to say that there was testing of ONE of the Cats in the Kitchen range by our major consumer group here (also using AAFCO guidelines) and it was recommended. I tend to rotate my cats' food because I don't really trust pet food manufacturers anyway.

Yes Abyeb, thiamine deficiency almost killed a relative's kittens, and yes she'd been doing it for awhile without rotating.
Thanks for clarifying M moorspede , I'm not very familiar with feline nutrition.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That line had a lot of fish in it. Can fish cause Thiamine deficiency if fed too much?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...I tend to rotate my cats' food because I don't really trust pet food manufacturers anyway...
Thank you for posting about the thiamine deficiency, moorspede: I'd been wondering what, exactly, had happened with the Weruva food. Your reminder about rotating food is very good: to my mind, this is just one of many reasons to feed multiple brands, thus spreading various types of risks. I hope your relative's kittens are doing okay now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggiedemi fish inhibits the production of thiamine, I'd assume it's made clear in all the countries guidelines. Our policing of them is very weak, Choice's testing found several manufacturers in breach when it tested wet cat food last year and past their results on to the ACCC. I don't think anything's been done. But this was a recall so we'll see.

Yes, lisahe the kittens are fine thankyou!