We've Adopted! But..... is the vet right?!

Is The Vet Correct?

• Yes, definitely seems to be a Weegie!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't think so....

• Maybe, it's possible I suppose

• Total voters

kittymommy3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A couple weeks ago, we decided to adopt another cat into the family after our first cat, Nova, wandered off. (Despite him having a chip and collar w/ ID Tags, he still has not been reported to us) We named her Pandora, after the Pandora Cluster, since all our fur babies are given space related names. Normally, this would be a happy and fairly straight forward event. Except one thing, I'm not sure my vet it right on her breed.

Most cats you get from a rescue/shelter/agency/veterinarians are "labeled" as DSH or DLH (Domestic Short/Long Hair) but when he retrieved Pandora's files for us he specifically pointed out that she was a "Norwegian Forest Cat" and that she would need a bit of specialized grooming and that they were typically very loyal and affectionate cats that needed a lot of personal attention and affection from their owners. I thought this odd and asked how he knew and he said that he could tell by a variety of factors including her personality, build, features, fur/coat type and that she was obviously a very well cared for cat before she was found abandoned because of her eating habits (she will only eat that very expensive, refrigerated cat food called FreshPet Vitals. Nothing else will entice her to eat and the vet was afraid she would never eat until a tech brought some in for another customers cat), grooming/people habits (she would willingly sit and let the techs brush her, clip her nails, examine her teeth and mess with her tail and feet extensively) and other behaviors. While the research I did on the breed does match Pandora to a T, both physically and personality wise, I'm still unsure and think it odd.

Do you think he is right? I've never heard of a vet doing this before, but I do that even if she was a Purebred, she would no longer be considered a Pedigree or Purebred without papers and such. It just strikes me as odd and was wondering what the fellow cat lovers here thought of the situation. I don't care if she is one way or another, she's the sweetest, most lovable cat on the planet and I wouldn't trade her for the world!

This is Orion, our newest fur baby! He will have his own post shortly because he was a huge milestone for me personally! I know he is a DSH, and he was found abandoned in an old house and he's only 3 weeks old. He gets Kitten Formula and is taking antibiotics for a minor eye infection but is expected to make a full and healthy recovery from it within a week!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure why your vet was so adamant that she's a Norwegian forest cat, maybe he has experience with that breed?
Anyway, Pandora is beautiful! Sounds like a lovely addition to your fur family.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Max's dermatologist agreed that Max had a lot of Maine Coon genes in him (how much, we'll never know.)
The dermatologist's daughter was a vet as well and had recently done some extensive research (including hands-on diagnostics) on the Maine Coon breed and instances of cardiomyopathy.

I, of course, was more than happy to have him agree. =)