Wet or Dry?

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 15 yr old darling is turning up her nose at almost all wet food. Dare I try dry kibble which I have avoided all these years?Or could that start problems?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems a lot of cats as they age become much pickier about their food. Why are you suggesting to try dry, as opposed to continue to look for other wet foods your cat might eat? If it were me that is what I would do.

I have also found that a rotation of different wet foods works better than trying to feed my cat just one or two flavors/brands. Right now, I am rotating through enough foods that she doesn't get the same thing in a 7-10 day period and she eats much better this way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An excellent thought except for the fact that she needs limited ingredient type canned foods and there are very few that she will eat. She hates duck, salmon, is allergic to chicken which she likes and turkey. So we are pretty much limited to rabbit which,depending on the lot # of the case she either likes it or doesn't, but finally eats it any way out of desperation. She won't eat the vet's recommended Hills diet which would be ideal and would helpfully cause her to gain weight (she's hyperthyroid). So we wondered about toying with dry food at this late stage of her life and cause maybe another problem. Otherwise, so far, she's been fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep. That's what I thought you might say.
Maybe I will try going back to givng her that "awful" Hills stuff that is the worst looking stuff-just hard as a rock -- no softness.She doesn't like it and out of hunger ends up eting most of it at some point. Too sad.