Wet Food With Carrageenan

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I currently feed my cats a brand of wet food that includes carrageenan. There are currently two lines of wet food. The normal and the organic line. The attached pictures show the included ingredients and the carrageenan quantity. Do you think that even the lower quantity of carrageenan, included in the organic line is enough to cause any problems? Thanks

Attachments

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll let the experts weigh in with their more informed views, but from what I can see, the amount of carrageenan in the label on the left looks really minimal.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
This thread discusses carrageenan in more detail: The truth about carrageenan

But from what I know, carrageenan can have inflammatory effects, but it’s difficult to avoid as carrageenan is used in so many wet foods! If your cats like this food, then I think that Furballsmom has a good suggestion to look into rotating foods.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with carrageenan is that nobody really knows for sure, particularly with regard to cats. If you google up "carrageenan" and "inflammation," you'll find articles, including actual scientific research. But you'll also find plenty of disagreement.

I don't/won't feed carrageenan to our cats (other than a very occasional can of a duck food that they like) because of the possibility of inflammation. Some Cat Site members have reported that their cats have digestive problems (I don't remember if they've been diagnosed with IBD or not) if they eat carrageenan.

Although lots of foods have carrageenan, there are plenty that don't. Our canned food rotation includes brands like Nutro Natural Choice, Fancy Feast classics, Wellness Core, Koha, Rawz, and Weruva. Most of those foods have gums but the foods are also very low in carbs. I'm not sure how your options might be in the UK but my view -- which is likely a minority view, given carrageenan's relative ubiquity -- is that it would be good to try to limit exposure to carrageenan.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Organic" is just a marketing ploy term. What is organic anyway? How can you confirm it?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
"Organic" is just a marketing ploy term. What is organic anyway? How can you confirm it?
As there are no specific regulations for organic pet food in place yet, the US Department of Agriculture demands that all pet foods that claim to be organic have to meet human organic food regulations.

“produced through approved methods that integrate cultural, biological and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation and genetic engineering may not be used."