Wet food tips

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any good tips on getting my cat to eat more wet food? He is also on Royal Canin Prescription so I would normally do like a topper but I am not sure if that would be a good idea.

I have tried mixing dry food with wet, I have put dry food on top which he eats but usually stops there.

So frustrating!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just prefer dry period. Mine eat both. Wet is better for the water it contains, and usually does not have as many carbs. If you feed dry encourage water, perhaps even getting a fountain, so they drink enough. I set small bowls of water in several spots so they check them out and drink. It can take a long time to transition them over. I don't completely go to wet because we enjoy our overnight trips, and I need them to have something to eat. i keep on that they really enjoy but is higher in calories for theses times, they think they are getting a treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob I should have said I am trying to get him to eat more wet to lose a bit of weight :cool:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two are 7 months old and up until last week, they would eat any kind of wet food I gave them. Then they decided to get picky on me. I would mix flavors to get them to eat. So, my suggestion is to try different flavors of wet food and find what they like and don't like. If you can come up with a nice variety of meats, stick with it and just rotate often.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine too! I switched to a couple of weight management drys to help with that and they are maintaining. right now they are on Science Diet Weight management dry that says they actually lose weight while eating. It helps to give them low fat/calorie treats too, like shaved deli turkey, the really enjoy that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did ask my vet about toppers he suggested it could cause issues since my buddy is on prescription diet food. I'm going to put some nuggets on top. He likes the wet food when it's first opened