Wet food recommendations for an (almost) senior cat?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Terra the Cat just had her annual check up, and her vet thinks I should switch her to wet food. Do any of you have any brands that I should look into? I’ve seen a lot of ads on Facebook for Smalls and Cat Person; do any of you have experience with either of these brands?

My vet had also recommended Hills, Purina, and Royal Canaan as brands to look into. Do any of you fred your cats any of them? If so, what has your experience with any of them been?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI! I used Purina's Fancy Feast and Poppycat liked their varieties. Purina's Friskies can sometimes cause vomiting according to what I'm reading from member's comments.

I also used Royal Canin Mother and Babycat when extra calories were needed.

Mouser might be a brand to consider, and Weruva's various brands and varieties, Feline Natural and Forza10 Neutraceutic are other brands I used :)

Kasiks, Koha, Merrick, Tiki Cat Chicken varieties, the Honest Kitchen and Halo are additional brands I utilized. I liked a rotation because for example, The Honest Kitchen's minced chicken turkey and duck has 5.8 mg/kg of iodine so I didn't feed it frequently.

This might help with the transition;

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links. I already feed Terra on a three meals a day regime, but with dry food (no free feeding here). That being the case, is switching to wet food fundamentally any different than what is described in the guide?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't think so, although I haven't had to go through the process so I'm not a good source for an answer about that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links. I already feed Terra on a three meals a day regime, but with dry food (no free feeding here). That being the case, is switching to wet food fundamentally any different than what is described in the guide?
I go by what the can says though not totally accurate. One 5.5 oz can split in 3 meals. Depends on your cats weight and activity. If she has been on dry a long time it may be hard to immediately switch to wet so start by adding a little wet and slowly increasing. I give my cats fancy feast turkey&giblets,weruva chicken,turkey,or beef,no fish, nutro perfect portions.,Dr elseys,farmina,tiki,churu and tiki sticks. Your cat may like pate,chunks of meat,minced in gravy,or shredded. I like weruva because it is low phosphorus

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also do Purina Pro Plan. I really liked the Royal Canin 12+ senior but there's many shortages on it here now and the price has gone up significantly.

My cats never touched Hills. They get Wureva a few times a week, sometimes Applepaws. I've tried some Fancy Feast recently.

It's good to try a few things and flavours to see what she likes and in case there's any shortages.

You might find her poos are soft at first. Just go slow and slowly increase her wet food.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Was an uphill struggle with Hill’s when my vet recommended it, tho it does work well for some and they’ve expanded their line since my cat vetoed it. Steady as she goes with with the N&D quail and pumpkin. Lately I’ve been sneaking in the occasional can of Fancy Feast extra gravy Turkey, which also seems to help keep his poop from being too hard, and which gives him a break from the same old thing every day. It’s a tricky question, b/c cats are so particular, and every one is different. I know it’s weird, but can’t tell you how much a little nosh of fresh grass has done for my cat: he comes running up for it. Forced at gunpoint to choose 1 of the 3 you mentioned, I’d choose Royal Canaan. Did your vet say anything about less ingredients being a healthier path?