Wet Food = Loose Stools?

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I've always fed my cats half wet and half dry food, mostly because of financial reasons. I'm in the middle of moving from China back to America and my mom has been taking care of 2 of my 4 cats. One loves wet food and will steal it from my other cats. I normally prevent this from happening, but my mom isn't really doing much about it. She says that cat (Promise) isn't really eating any dry food now, she's basically existing on her wet food portion (1 can) and part of my other cat's portion, which she's stealing. I'm back in the US for one week delivering the third of my 4 cats and I noticed Promise's poo is very very loose and undefined. It dries hard, but it's basically just a blob of poo. Is this normal for a cat eating only wet food?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has she been eating the wet food? If it’s a recent change, it may even out. If it’s been awhile, she may be sensitive to one or more ingredients in the wet food. My Krista can’t eat chicken or salmon anymore. But these cause vomiting reactions in her. Some cats react with diarrhea or loose stools. Any food with xanthum gum will soup her poops. I wouldn’t blame this on wet food in general but quite possibly that wet food specifically.

It’s not a bad thing that she’s eating wet food only. It will help in the long run. But you should look at the ingredients for gums and vegetables and starches and foods that list byproducts as the first ingredient. It’s not that byproducts are bad, cats eat their whole prey so there is no byproducts. But here, byproducts refers to unnamed organs. Organ meats can cause loose stools. I wouldn’t try to switch her back to dry. Just move her to a better wet that doesn’t soup her poops.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anytime a cat switches food it can cause loose stools. If it has been a while, it may be stated like above there is some kind of allergy going on. She may also be bolting down the food too fast if she is stealing it. It could also be all unrelated and will clear up in a few days. I would just keep a closer eye on her and see if it gets worse or improves. If it gets worse, a vet visit or a call may be indicated.
She needs more if she is that hungry, I would maybe look fro a better quality wet food to give her. My cats have never ahd any problems with Friskies canned, 48 cents at Walmart, and tehy just love teh shredded turkey with cheese, and All of the 'Treasure' kinds!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies is one of those organ heavy wet foods. That’s great that your kitties do well on it. But that’s one of the foods I had in mind when I suggested a byproducts heavy recipe can cause loose stools. I’m convinced that’s why Friskies includes rice in their recipe.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed too many cats to buy expensive meat only food. I feed at least ten every day and night. I buy Friskies and sometimes more expensive brands when they go on sale for my three indoor cats, but really, the outside cats are lucky they get wet at all. I haev at least 4 that are over ten years old, a miracle around here. Most die on the road. I spay and neuter all that show up, and at 150.00 each it is all I can do. I am also retired and on a fixed income. Cats are my passion and i do what I can.....

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed too many cats to buy expensive meat only food. I feed at least ten every day and night. I buy Friskies and sometimes more expensive brands when they go on sale for my three indoor cats, but really, the outside cats are lucky they get wet at all. I haev at least 4 that are over ten years old, a miracle around here. Most die on the road. I spay and neuter all that show up, and at 150.00 each it is all I can do. I am also retired and on a fixed income. Cats are my passion and i do what I can.....
I'm not judging you or your food choice. I understand Friskies is economical. The recipe however is organs-heavy as byproducts are unnamed organs. Organ meats can cause loose stools. Throwing that out there for the original poster to consider.

Kudos to you for taking care of the cats and doing what you can.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat gets soft stool after eating food with carrageenan and agar agar, which are rather popular in the American wet food, so if your cat started eating it now, that might be a possible cause