Wet Food Help

kestria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 4 months old, 4.4lbs. I'm currently feeding him one 3oz can of nutro or wellness and 1 nugget of primal raw daily with as much dry food as he wants on the side. The dry is Instinct kitten. This is costing me just over $100 a month.

I'm a full time college student so this is a bit steep for me. Are there cheaper wet food options that are still good? I was primarily looking at whiskas or fancy feast. Are these brands any good for kittens? I'm not interested in preparing my own food. I just don't have the time or equipment for that. Thanks!

Attachments

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a wellness core kitten that's 5.5 oz. Give half a day and save the rest in your fridge for the next day and that would save you a bit as well. I think it's $1.39 for the 3oz (Lelia really likes that one so it goes in her rotation sometimes) and $1.89 for the 5.5, which over two days is about 95 cents per day at my Petco. It only seems a little cheaper but it would add up.

I've read good things about the fancy feast classics! It would probably be worth seeing if your kitten will eat them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kestria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is not a fan of the canned food once it has been refrigerated unfortunately so that's why I'm sticking to the smaller cans that he can eat in one day.

So between the whiskas and fancy feast, the fancy feast is better?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also vote for Fancy Feast. my cats wont eat any leftovers either :( so i try to stay with the 3 oz cans, unless it is a food all 4 will eat, which is rare

kestria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this kind of fancy feast comparable to the classic? I can't seem to find the classic.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I'm afraid my middle-aged eyes can't tell from the picture, but what we buy has the word 'Classic' immediately under the name of the flavor like this.

ETA: In case you're wondering why the Classic product line seems to be so popular, as I understand it, it's grain-free, and tends to be lower in carbs than some of their other options with gravies and whatnot. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the Fancy Feast Classics are pate. Are you in Canada, kestria kestria ? I think those foods have a slightly different name, at least in some countries outside the U.S. Edit: Fancy Feast also has a pate kitten food. High-calorie foods are great for kittens.

And yes, cheeser cheeser is right about the FF pates being grain-free and low-carb. Just watch that you don't feed too much fish, which can get addictive (been there with a cat!). Many people like to limit fish for health reasons, too. This post from a vet summarizes the risks and covers environmental concerns, too.

Last edited:

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

kestria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for double post, forgot to include the link for Chewy Fancy Feast Classic options: fancy feast classic
I live in Canada so I cannot use chewy though I wish I could. It looks great and much more convenient than buying in store.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, for some reason they call it Classic over here in the US. But it's the same as Pate.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I occasionally feed Fancy Feast classics/pate. I have never tried Friskies but that's because I believe FF is slightly superior to that. Will you continue to feed Primal daily or just stick to FF?

MarmaladeMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try Sheba! It’s less expensive than a lot of other brand, but the ingredients are decent (meat first, low grain, etc). I like the cuts for my cats (meat bits as opposed to the paté). My older boy Jethro tends to throw up pâtés.

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shouldn’t you be feeding your kitten more than you’re feeding now? Kittens should eat up to 50% more than adults until they reach 6-7 months and then you start tapering down.
How about two cans of FF per day and a Primal nugget?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my vote is for Fancy Feast. Purina One and Purina Pro plan are good kitten foods as well. I think a bit of the cost is the primal nugget cat food, would you consider stella and chewy or possibly just dropping it from kitties menu? Every so often, I've fed my kitties a meal once or twice a week of just raw meat as a snack. Not the main meal. I used to make raw food but it got to be a bit time consuming for the amount I was making for everyone so I now make it just for a select few.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edit* Just read over the thread, I see you cannot use chewy. I can source on amazon for you if you like.

kestria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't feed only canned and raw. He also has dry available at all times. I like having all three for variety. I've experimented with different portions but he doesn't always eat it all so I think what I have now is a good ratio.

I picked up a box of big country raw yesterday and he's really liking it. It's quite a bit cheaper than primal too. I got 4 pounds for $15. I think I will feed this with the fancy feast. Thanks for the advice everyone!