Wet Food Help - Nutro, Sheba, Purina, Halo

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My Bengal kitten Mia, has been eating a mix of Sheba and Nutro. She is now starting to not want Sheba so I am trying to figure out what I can supplement Sheba with. Was looking to stay grain free.

What are your throughts on Purina Beyond or True instinct and which is the better of the two? Don't want to pay too much, but also don't want to give her anything cheaper either. Our local petco a while back had Halo, Royal Canin and Purrrfect Bistro on clearance for 30 cents so I bought her a bunch of those and gave it to her only 1 can a week so she wouldn't get used to it. she ate them all up. Probably why she doesn't want Sheba anymore!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just looked up True Instinct and it has Wheat and Corn in it, so it wouldn't be MY first choice :wink:. Plus the first ingredient is water.

I used to feed certain of the Purina Beyond foods until my boys started throwing up on them :ohwell:. I tell you, what's best is what works for Mia and you and your budget, really.

Here's an article that may help you: What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats would eat Sheba for a little while, then no more. Are you looking at wet only? If so the Fancy feast classics, and the fancy feast grilled flavors are not too bad. The grilled does have some wheat and soy, and the carbs are at 14% which would be a bit high for a diabetic cat, the classics i think are more in the 5 to 10 % carb range. But i still think they are not bad, these are the only two lines in the fancy feast i feed, you can pick them up anywhere, and they are definitely affordable.

I rotate wet foods, i feed some of the Fancy feast, in rotation with Weruva, Tiki Cat, Against the grain Earthborn, and Fussie cat. I also feed a low carb dry food as well. Seems to keep my guys from getting tired of one thing. I do also shop the sales and pick up different foods to try :)

One place i like to compare foods is the cat food database for quick easy information CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Purina Beyond to my female cat on occasion but I try to limit it as every flavor seems to have fish listed as an ingredient even if it's a poultry flavor. If it's in your budget, Whole Earth Farms has a 24 pack of 5.5 ounce canned food available on Chewy for $28, I believe. 3oz is about $20. It's a little carb-y but it does the trick. I second Against the Grain and Fussie Cat brand cat food as well, much lower in carbs, though they're a bit more expensive.