Wet Food For Feral Cats

KappyShortsleeve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I take care of a colony of feral cats. (5 that I have seen, but I suspect there are more). They have all been TNR'd. I'm looking for recommendations on affordable wet food to feed them.
The rescue group I volunteer with provides food when they can, but we also have many adoptable cats in foster homes, and most of the resources go to medical care.

My indoor cats are on a prescription diet, and I can't afford to feed that to the feral cats.

I feed the feral cats Canidae grain free dry food. (With feral cats, you have to feed dry food, because the food has to last through the night). But would love ideas on affordable wet food.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mine Friskies and Fancy Feast. Sheba used to be affordable too when it was in the cans, now it's more expensive in the plastic trays. I avoid the fish flavors.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take care of a colony of feral cats. (5 that I have seen, but I suspect there are more). They have all been TNR'd. I'm looking for recommendations on affordable wet food to feed them.
The rescue group I volunteer with provides food when they can, but we also have many adoptable cats in foster homes, and most of the resources go to medical care.

My indoor cats are on a prescription diet, and I can't afford to feed that to the feral cats.

I feed the feral cats Canidae grain free dry food. (With feral cats, you have to feed dry food, because the food has to last through the night). But would love ideas on affordable wet food.
You know more than I do about feral cats, but I thought most advice was not to leave food out overnight because it attracts "varmits" you don't want around. I was watching the one feral I TNR'd this morning stalking insects and birds. I finally enticed to her to eat a tiny bit of grain free kibble and canned food. Then I thought that the birds and insects are actually healthy for her than processed cat food. Maybe she's just humoring me by sampling the processed McDonald's Happy Meal I offer, versus eating her whole live prey diet. :lol:

Anyway, to your question, there are quite a few no-carbohydrate inexpensive canned foods on the market. Like Maggiedemi said, I think Friskies and the pate versions of Fancy Feast are fairly decent foods. You might look at 4Health from Tractor Supply too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KappyShortsleeve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I avoid the fish flavors, too. A cats natural diet is birds a rodents. Like they say "when feeding a cat think feathers and fur, not fins"

I'll look into those, thanks.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have a Dollar General near you. You can get the 13oz cans of Friskies for $1. They always have coupons on your total purchase. So you can get them cheaper.