Wet Food Diet..is It For Moisture Only, Protein, Or Both?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For me it comes down to the fact that I can't consciously feed kibble to my cats knowing how inappropriate of a food source it is for an obligate carnivore. Not sure how to put this without coming across as rude... but... I prioritize my cats' health above my own laziness to educate myself or my personal disgust with handling raw meat. If I'm that grossed out by meat then I'm not going to have a carnivore as a pet. Maybe I would get a rabbit.
To each their own.
I personally don't see kibble as being that bad. I equate it to junk food. I have 2 small kids...do I try to feed them mostly healthy, home-cooked meals? You bet. Do I occasionally say "screw it" and order pizza or let them have McDonald's? Yep. So if most of my cat's diet is canned and I had to fill in with some kibble for some reason, I'm ok with that.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, you do sound just a bit rude..lol. we all have our opinions on cat food, i just do not happen to agree with you and your stand on dry. :agreedisagree:

I think a wet and dry comb, is fine for most cats. :rolleyes:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, as I said, I was having a hard time trying to make my point without sounding rude and maybe it’s just the New Yorker in me but I just said what I feel.

Anyway, not trying to offend, but I also think that a lot of this stuff is more than just opinion. Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion but at the end of the day I try to do my research and base my judgment on reason, logic, and evidence. At the same time, I’m not saying don’t ever feed dry food because it’s that bad. I have fed dry food as a snack before for various reasons. But, I just like to be conscious of the fact that it’s a man-made high processed and questionable food source, usually made mostly of carbs or questionable protein sources, and not really an appropriate food for cats. I like to give my cats mostly fresh food, the same way I would also prefer my own diet to be mainly fresh food too.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, as I said, I was having a hard time trying to make my point without sounding rude and maybe it’s just the New Yorker in me but I just said what I feel.

Anyway, not trying to offend, but I also think that a lot of this stuff is more than just opinion. Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion but at the end of the day I try to do my research and base my judgment on reason, logic, and evidence. At the same time, I’m not saying don’t ever feed dry food because it’s that bad. I have fed dry food as a snack before for various reasons. But, I just like to be conscious of the fact that it’s a man-made high processed and questionable food source, usually made mostly of carbs or questionable protein sources, and not really an appropriate food for cats. I like to give my cats mostly fresh food, the same way I would also prefer my own diet to be mainly fresh food too.
If Raw is how you want to feed, i think that's great. But many of us do not choose to do that. Does not mean we don't try to feed the best we can, based on our own judgment, reason and logic and evidence. Or love our cats as much as you. And im sorry but evidence does not really support that raw is the only way to keep your cat healthy. Cats have done quite well on wet, dry, and raw for a long time. Some are totally healthy on either diet, and some get sick on either diet. There is no hard data that says otherwise. Lots of opinions, but no hard data.

Genetics, weight, stress, food, activity, health care, many things come into play with health, both for people, and pets.

I personally don't have a problem with Rude, or shall we just say opinionated? I am a customer service manager with an international company, Strong opinions are my daily bread and butter..lol.. However i know it does bother some other members when someone states flat out that if you don't feed a certain way you don't love your cat, if you let your cat outside you don't love your cat..if you dont use a certain type of litter, you don't love your cat....ect ..ect. I think we should always give our honest opinions, but realize, that is what they are Our opinion.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
If Raw is how you want to feed, i think that's great. But many of us do not choose to do that. Does not mean we don't try to feed the best we can, based on our own judgment, reason and logic and evidence. Or love our cats as much as you. And im sorry but evidence does not really support that raw is the only way to keep your cat healthy. Cats have done quite well on wet, dry, and raw for a long time. Some are totally healthy on either diet, and some get sick on either diet. There is no hard data that says otherwise. Lots of opinions, but no hard data.

Genetics, weight, stress, food, activity, health care, many things come into play with health, both for people, and pets.

I personally don't have a problem with Rude, or shall we just say opinionated? I am a customer service manager with an international company, Strong opinions are my daily bread and butter..lol.. However i know it does bother some other members when someone states flat out that if you don't feed a certain way you don't love your cat, if you let your cat outside you don't love your cat..if you dont use a certain type of litter, you don't love your cat....ect ..ect. I think we should always give our honest opinions, but realize, that is what they are Our opinion.
I don’t think I ever said that people who feed dry food don’t care about their cats. I also did not state that raw food is the only way to keep cats healthy. I was responding to someone who said that feeding dry is sometimes easier than taking the time to learn how to make your own food. I was saying that taking the time to educate myself is worth it for me.

I’m not sure that logic, reason, and evidence always amounts to “hard data,” but I suppose that we are in a data craze era where knowledge is reduced to data. There is plenty of information out there that’s been posted on here numerous times that I don’t need to get into again to show that kibble is unhealthy for cats. Pretty much all medical professions (besides vets) are also in agreement that fresh food is generally healthier than processed food.

Right, and I’m saying that it’s not always helpful to just dismiss everything as someone’s “opinion.” I don’t find the advice of “everyone has an opinion so just do what’s best for you” very helpful.

I’m sure you do your best to take care of your cats. I did not state that you don’t and in fact was not even responding to you when you replied to my post. The point is that not having the time or interest to look into healthier food options doesn’t make dry food healthy. And this shouldn’t be used as an argument for the health benefits of dry food.