Wet food blue wilderness

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The amount of wet cat food available is sooooo overwhelming.

I have 4 cats - 2 male and 2 female. 3 are around 1 year of age and one is 17 years old

For wet food, they currently eat fancy feast pate that I add extra water too. I feed them dry royal canin feline urinary care as preventive to avoid urinary issues in the boys. My parents and brother both have male cats that ended up going thru surgery for blockages so I am trying to avoid that at all costs (no pun intended)

I’d like to feed them a bit higher quality wet food. I’m not really concerned about cost but I do tend to keep that in mind.

so my question is - is Blue Buffalo Wilderness chicken and red meat feast decent food to feed them? I like that they come in bigger cans so I wouldn’t need to go thru so many 3 ounce cans a day

thanks for any insight!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I realize that bigger cans would be more convenient for you, but I personally don't think Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a better food than Fancy Feast pates. Most of them contain carrageenan as one of the solidifiers and a lot of folks oppose feeding it to their cats because it has been linked to cancer. I also noticed that many of them also contain potatoes - not the worst thing in the world but not necessary in terms of dietary needs for a cat.

That said, I do feed Feeby some of the Blue Buffalo Wilderness foods just because at 17+ yo she has gotten so picky in her old age, that I pretty much give her whatever (within reason) that she will eat. And I am not as worried about the carrageenan since she is as old as she is. Until the cat food shortage, she was exclusively on Fancy Feast pates. They really don't have junk in them, and the only solidifier is guar gum, which is probably what I would consider the most benign of all the gums.

Hopefully, some other members will come along and have other options for you to consider.

10thomer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The amount of wet cat food available is sooooo overwhelming.

I have 4 cats - 2 male and 2 female. 3 are around 1 year of age and one is 17 years old

For wet food, they currently eat fancy feast pate that I add extra water too. I feed them dry royal canin feline urinary care as preventive to avoid urinary issues in the boys. My parents and brother both have male cats that ended up going thru surgery for blockages so I am trying to avoid that at all costs (no pun intended)

I’d like to feed them a bit higher quality wet food. I’m not really concerned about cost but I do tend to keep that in mind.

so my question is - is Blue Buffalo Wilderness chicken and red meat feast decent food to feed them? I like that they come in bigger cans so I wouldn’t need to go thru so many 3 ounce cans a day

thanks for any insight!
I can't speak to the red meat feast but I had my cats on the wilderness chicken wet food for a long while. One of my cats started to develop suspiciously high kidney numbers for his age (not sure if it was related to the food or not) and I did some research and realized that this food was super high in phosphorus, which is not ideal for cats with potential kidney disease. It's also quite high in fat, which maybe was bad for his pancreatitis as well.

Take this all with a grain of salt, but one of my cats did not have a tremendously good experience on this food and I'm not sure if the food caused these issues or exacerbated them, but their symptoms did start to reside once I switched to a different food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I realize that bigger cans would be more convenient for you, but I personally don't think Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a better food than Fancy Feast pates. Most of them contain carrageenan as one of the solidifiers and a lot of folks oppose feeding it to their cats because it has been linked to cancer. I also noticed that many of them also contain potatoes - not the worst thing in the world but not necessary in terms of dietary needs for a cat.

That said, I do feed Feeby some of the Blue Buffalo Wilderness foods just because at 17+ yo she has gotten so picky in her old age, that I pretty much give her whatever (within reason) that she will eat. And I am not as worried about the carrageenan since she is as old as she is. Until the cat food shortage, she was exclusively on Fancy Feast pates. They really don't have junk in them, and the only solidifier is guar gum, which is probably what I would consider the most benign of all the gums.

Hopefully, some other members will come along and have other options for you to consider.
Thank you!! I think in the past I have just heard so many people say fancy feast is like McDonald’s. I use the fancy feast classic pate.

They seem to like the beef and chicken. They don’t like the fish which is fine because I try not to give them fish anyways.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't speak to the red meat feast but I had my cats on the wilderness chicken wet food for a long while. One of my cats started to develop suspiciously high kidney numbers for his age (not sure if it was related to the food or not) and I did some research and realized that this food was super high in phosphorus, which is not ideal for cats with potential kidney disease. It's also quite high in fat, which maybe was bad for his pancreatitis as well.

Take this all with a grain of salt, but one of my cats did not have a tremendously good experience on this food and I'm not sure if the food caused these issues or exacerbated them, but their symptoms did start to reside once I switched to a different food.
Oh thank you for mentioning that. My old lady (17) does have kidney issues so I would not want to give her that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did some research and realized that this food was super high in phosphorus, which is not ideal for cats with potential kidney disease.
Oh thank you for mentioning that. My old lady (17) does have kidney issues so I would not want to give her that.
Sadly, I think you will find most pates are worse in terms of phosphorus than non-pates. I have no idea why, but it seems to be the case from all the information I have gathered so far.

Feeby (my 17+ yo) does have kidney disease, but I will sooner put her on phosphorus binders if I have to than to try to get her to eat foods she isn't crazy about!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly, I think you will find most pates are worse in terms of phosphorus than non-pates. I have no idea why, but it seems to be the case from all the information I have gathered so far.

Feeby (my 17+ yo) does have kidney disease, but I will sooner put her on phosphorus binders if I have to than to try to get her to eat foods she isn't crazy about!
Yeah my old lady, I let her eat what she will actually eat. She never even ate wet food until I got the younger ones and now she wants her share haha.

I wonder if I should mix pate with non pate

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah my old lady, I let her eat what she will actually eat. She never even ate wet food until I got the younger ones and now she wants her share haha. I wonder if I should mix pate with non pate.
Feeby wasn't on wet food until about 4 years ago, when she decided she no longer wanted dry!! But, I could not get her to eat any wet food that wasn't pate. So, if your girl would do so, it might lessen the phosphorus level a bit - although, you really would need to research the phosphorus amount in any of them to be sure.

You could take a look at the chart of commercial canned foods on Tanya's web site for some low phosphorus foods (Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org)). I had trouble finding many of them in my area, and I can't order tons of food (like as in cases) because Feeby changes her mind all the time about what she is willing to eat now that I have to give her other foods besides FF pates.

The other thing you can do for any foods that are not on the above noted chart is reach out to the companies and ask them to provide you with the phosphorus level (on a dry matter basis - the most accurate). So far, when I have done that, the companies have been pretty responsive.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feeby wasn't on wet food until about 4 years ago, when she decided she no longer wanted dry!! But, I could not get her to eat any wet food that wasn't pate. So, if your girl would do so, it might lessen the phosphorus level a bit - although, you really would need to research the phosphorus amount in any of them to be sure.

You could take a look at the chart of commercial canned foods on Tanya's web site for some low phosphorus foods (Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org)). I had trouble finding many of them in my area, and I can't order tons of food (like as in cases) because Feeby changes her mind all the time about what she is willing to eat now that I have to give her other foods besides FF pates.

The other thing you can do for any foods that are not on the above noted chart is reach out to the companies and ask them to provide you with the phosphorus level (on a dry matter basis - the most accurate). So far, when I have done that, the companies have been pretty responsive.
Now my brain is spinning even more. Thank you for the info!!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think I’m just going to stick to fancy feast for now. I added a few cases of non pate to my auto ship plus I always add extra water so hopefully that will help keep the phosphorus in check. Thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to give you some files that were sent to me by another person who reached out to Purina regarding phosphorus counts in various Fancy Feast foods, just so you have them and can see that the pates run higher. I want to combine them all into one file but haven't taken the time to do so yet.

CSYS22061753-001.PNG CSYS22061753-002.PNG

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am going to give you some files that were sent to me by another person who reached out to Purina regarding phosphorus counts in various Fancy Feast foods, just so you have them and can see that the pates run higher. I want to combine them all into one file but haven't taken the time to do so yet.

View attachment 416864View attachment 416865
Wow they do run so much higher. I wonder if it’s because in the end it actually is more food in the pate. Like some brands of gravy have like 5 little chunks of meat in a 3 ounce can and they rest is liquid where as pate is almost all food. So I wonder if it is less per calorie than others would be

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my boys Blue Buffalo Wilderness "Red Meat" in the 5.5 oz. Can. They prefer that over Chicken or Turkey. For some reason they get ill eating the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult "Chicken". They never had any issue eating the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten "Chicken". I purchase all my Blue Buffalo from chewy. "Red Meat" is the priciest Costing $42.00 a case of 24 5.5 oz cans.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow they do run so much higher. I wonder if it’s because in the end it actually is more food in the pate. Like some brands of gravy have like 5 little chunks of meat in a 3 ounce can and they rest is liquid where as pate is almost all food. So I wonder if it is less per calorie than others would be.
I don't know about that because if you look at the protein counts, they are very close in both pate and non-pate. What is different is the fat content - how or if that correlates to phosphorus, I am not sure. It is likely to do with the different processing techniques that are used between pates and non-pates.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about that because if you look at the protein counts, they are very close in both pate and non-pate. What is different is the fat content - how or if that correlates to phosphorus, I am not sure. It is likely to do with the different processing techniques that are used between pates and non-pates.
The Blue Bluffalo "Red Meat" Flaked is $6.00 more than the Pate version per case.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Blue Bluffalo "Red Meat" Flaked is $6.00 more than the Pate version per case.
It’s getting so expensive since. I swear I pay more a month for cat food and litter than I spend on myself

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s getting so expensive since. I swear I pay more a month for cat food and litter than I spend on myself
I accidentally ordered 1 case of Flaked and one of Pate. I think my boys prefer the Flaked though. I like ordering from Chewy because of their door delivery and short shipping time.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I accidentally ordered 1 case of Flaked and one of Pate. I think my boys prefer the Flaked though. I like ordering from Chewy because of their door delivery and short shipping time.
Yes absolutely. I have used their auto ship for months

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes absolutely. I have used their auto ship for months
I don't currently use their auto service . I had for awhile but ended up with too much food on hand. I buy my Cat litter locally. I had Been using Dr. Elsey's brand Cat litter from chewy in 40# bags. It's a Great Litter. But my boy Jackpot Likes to chew on the litter bags and makes a mess. I've switched to Tidy Cat plastic jugs. My Boy Jackpot is Like a Puppy that meows. At 2.5 yrs he loves chewing on things.

Last edited:

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't currently use their auto service . I had for awhile but ended up with too much food on hand. I buy my Cat litter locally.
What do you use for litter? That’s another think I’m going between brands on trying to find one I like