Wet food and roaches

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Sigh* I hate that I even have to post this. But I could use your help. I moved to Florida and unfortunately my apartment has roaches. I keep a clean house and don't leave my own food out so please don't come at me for it. It's just part of apartment living in central Florida.

That being said, the roaches LOVE my two girls' wet food. They get fed once a day dry food from an automatic feeder at about 4 am, then some wet food at 4pm and some wet food around 8pm. Usually they just pick at the 8pm feeding and I would leave it out as I went to bed and throw out whatever little was left over in the morning. But now that I'm in roach-land, I don't feel comfortable leaving the wet food out for 6-7 hours. At the same time, I don't want to encourage scarf n barf because they feel like they have to eat their whole portion at that exact moment or it'll be thrown away.

Anyone dealt with this particular problem and have solutions?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Also in roach land. I use food timers and elevated bowls will help but not solve the problem. My apartment has an exterminator spray outside every thurs.

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also in Florida. Can’t tell you how many mornings I’ve woken up to find one or two half eaten bugs around. He actually stays in the kitchen waiting for them, then patrols the house hunting for them. Not much you can do, might try some roach bait in a cabinet the cats can’t get into.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try using a motion activated or timed feeder for wet food; they have them (see link below for both kinds). I suppose it is possible the roaches might still be able to squeeze into the edge/opening, but it would be worth a shot anyway.

I am not sure if a 'moat' might help with trapping the roaches in the water before they are able to reach the food, but that is another thing to try. A baking pan, or any similar low sided pan, filled with water and then set the bowls inside.

Have you looked into the ultrasonic roach repellents? I really know nothing about them, but one might work if placed nearby where you keep their food.

Best 5 Automatic Cat Feeders For Wet Foods In 2022 Reviews (petfeederexpert.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try using a motion activated or timed feeder for wet food; they have them (see link below for both kinds). I suppose it is possible the roaches might still be able to squeeze into the edge/opening, but it would be worth a shot anyway.

Best 5 Automatic Cat Feeders For Wet Foods In 2022 Reviews (petfeederexpert.com)
I hadn't thought of those microchip feeders - that might work! Have to save up a bit cause those things aren't cheap, but cheaper than calling a cat friendly exterminator!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Sigh* I hate that I even have to post this. But I could use your help. I moved to Florida and unfortunately my apartment has roaches. I keep a clean house and don't leave my own food out so please don't come at me for it. It's just part of apartment living in central Florida.

That being said, the roaches LOVE my two girls' wet food. They get fed once a day dry food from an automatic feeder at about 4 am, then some wet food at 4pm and some wet food around 8pm. Usually they just pick at the 8pm feeding and I would leave it out as I went to bed and throw out whatever little was left over in the morning. But now that I'm in roach-land, I don't feel comfortable leaving the wet food out for 6-7 hours. At the same time, I don't want to encourage scarf n barf because they feel like they have to eat their whole portion at that exact moment or it'll be thrown away.

Anyone dealt with this particular problem and have solutions?
theoretically your kitties should be hunting em down for you graycie does and drops em live in front of gf sometimes to show off her catch :lol:jokes aside if you can find out how they are getting inside you then can use caulking amd seal things off i deal with roaches each summer to they come in from the drains(not fun to share a shower with a roach swimming around your feet) in the bathroom dumping peppermint oil down the drain works pretty good along with spraying it around outside my patio and bedroom window wall outside

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also try putting duct tape around where your pipes come through the walls and check the edges of your floor boards and inside your cabinets. Construction people can leave surprisingly -- in large enough for a kitten to get through into the walls -- holes in the backs of cabinets where they don't think anyone will notice.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you not leave food out when you go to bed? Buddy's last meal for the day is at 6:00pm. If he doesn't finish it, I clean his dish out and put it in the sink (of course rinsing everything well). We live in the panhandle of Florida. No roaches at our place, but there are plenty of palmetto bugs (polite word for those huge outdoor flying roaches that come in if your home isn't sealed really well or leave doors open), ants, lizards, frogs, etc. that come in when they get the chance.

Buddy knows I won't leave food out more than an hour or so, then it gets put up. Yep - all food is in airtight containers or in the fridge, no dirty dishes in the sink - they are at least thoroughly rinsed and so is the sink until I can wash them.

Buddy hates it when I make him come in from our screen porch after dark, but those stupid palmetto bugs can squeeze through the smallest crack (screen porch doors) - they are big, but are very "flat".

I grew up in Louisiana - the bugs/critter issues are much worse there than here! That taught me to be a fanatic about leaving food/crumbs/empty used cups, etc. out.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a roach phobia and my advice is to roach proof your home so it’s difficult for them to get in. I personally caulk the space where the wall meets the floor. Use door draft stoppers if there is space between your door and the ground. Caulk the space around pipes under sinks. Plug your sinks when not in use. Put tape over the overflow hole in the sink. Cover vents with mesh netting. Good luck.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add, check the edges around each of your windows on the inside if not the outside. You can run a line of caulk around them, too.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not live in Florida or (knock wood) suffer from a roach problem on a regular basis, so feel free to disregard the following or say, "Yeah, tried it; didn't work" if appropriate.

For many years I have sworn by Combat roach baits. They have worked like a charm for me here in New York. As long as I replace them regularly (ideally every 3 months, but realistically more like 6), I see no signs of these pests. I place them out of sight and out of reach of my cat--in the back of the kitchen cabinet underneath my sink, in a similar location in the bathroom, and under the dresser in the bedroom.