Wet Fip

lucy2423

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm new here :)
I was informed this week that my sweet little Tiger (who is 9, has his 10th birthday in September) has wet FIP. On Monday I was told it was cancer. I'm really hoping that they're wrong again.
For awhile now he's been struggling with constipation issues. Last weekend it seemed to get a little worse and to the point where he was lethargic. I brought him to the vet on Monday (my birthday, of all days) and had to leave him there all day as an emergency appointment as they were fully booked. They ran his bloodwork, which I will attach, and attempted to do an xray. The vet called me back saying there was too much fluid in his abdomen to be able to see anything with the xray. So she drained a lot of fluid out of him and then performed an ultrasound. She said she couldn't see any obstructions but his intestines seemed to be pushed together/compressed/tightly wound - I can't remember her exact terminology but her point was that she couldn't see much because it was too tight to see through or around. She couldn't see or feel a tumor but thought that might be what was pushing on his intestines to make them look that way. She put a sample of the extracted fluid under a microscope and said she saw a lot of white blood cells and some seemed to be a strange shape - sort of malformed. That's when she dropped the cancer bomb on me. She said she was fairly certain it was cancer. I had her send a sample off to pathology just to be sure. Well, yesterday she called me back and it's not cancer, it's wet FIP - but another "guess" from someone. She said there's another test that can be run to check for FIP and I told her to do it. The test won't be run until Tuesday (I have to wait an entire week to get a result on this!!!!) but is there even a test that accurately tests for FIP?
Tiger sleeps a lot. But becomes alert when it's time to eat (which THANKFULLY he is still doing but not very much) or when I let him outside. He is definitely not himself anymore. He hides most of time (unless he just likes sleeping under the bed now) and he doesn't play. Getting him to purr can be a chore sometimes.
Tiger doesn't go outside too much. A few times during the summer but this week I've been letting him out more just because I don't know how much longer I have with him so I want to spoil him.
I took him to another vet on Thursday and she came up with the same possible diagnosis. I'm really hoping it's something else but I don't know what it could be or if my vet would even entertain the idea of it being something else.
Not sure if I missed any information or if there are other questions people have but ask away! I'll share what I know.
Thanks again!

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: My heart goes out to Tiger and you. My experience with FIP has been with tinies who mostly succumb while very small. Since FIP is caused by coronavirus, doing immune support is the best suggestion that I can offer. Have you tried consulting with a holistic vet about using some traditional medicine such as L-lysine and herbs, possibly slippery elm, licorice root and marshmallow root?
For me, the key consideration is the comfort of the patient. Hiding under the bed is a classic sign of pain and discomfort. Grooming with a cheap plastic comb about the scruff of the neck, behind the ears and about the face and chin can be very comforting - it mimics a mama kitty's licking and recalls happier times.
There are many members with more technical experience than me. I am a solo feral cat rescuer with primitive skills. I will be following this thread with great interest. FIP is a terrible scourge :sniffle:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also hope and pray it is NOT FIP. In answer to one of your questions, as far as I know, there is still no definitive test for FIP. There is a test, the Rivalta test, done on the fluids from the abdomen, that can be fairly accurate, but not 100%. Vets do their best with tests and symptoms and that's all they can do.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::hugs:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have so much to say but first would like to ask, how long has kitty been acting different/sleeping under the bed, etc?

Has there been any fever at all and if so was kitty given antibiotics? Did they help?

Do you have the results from the fluid analysis?

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also hoping it is not FIP. That it is just something else going on, and that he just continues to feel better and improve. Do keep us updated, we will all worry for him right along with you. :crossfingers:

Dickie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but the blood test isn't bad enough to be a wet FIP. (at least that's my opinion) The fluid released doesn't have to be FIP always, many times vets take it for granted that it's FIP as soon as they see free fluid. Fortunately, this is not always the case, and it is surprising how many cases are wrong.

The analysis of the liquid is important, there is nothing to ensure 100% FIP (as far as I know, only a necropsy can assure it). But it gives a lot of truth, not in its entirety, but it helps, and more symptoms and factors need to be taken into account. I don't understand how they can wait that long! I think that's wrong..

Your cat is obviously not healthy. There's something wrong with him, he's just saying that because of his behavior. But I hope it's not FIP and I hope they give you answers soon.
You have my support and my hope:crossfingers:
Keep telling us please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucy2423

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the only other information I have right now. It's results from when they thought he had cancer and had a vet pathologist look at the fluid.
The PCR results should be in today but my vet said she usually doesn't hear from them until later in the day so I'm wondering if I won't hear the news until tomorrow. Either way, I told her I wanted a copy of the results.

Attachments

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I, too, hope it's not FIP. Unfortunately in FIP, everything is so "nonspecific." There doesn't seem to be a definitive test for it. So you are left hoping it's something else. The blood results you posted don't look bad at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Tiger. Is he the cat in your avatar?

lucy2423

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's Tiger. I let him outside and he went for the dirt in the garden right away lol
I'm just so frustrated because there isn't a test that's 100% and it seems the vets I have gone to have their mind made up. Maybe it is FIP, I don't know, but there seems to be so much that doesn't fit. But I don't know where else his symptoms would fit - what else could be the problem. The only way I'll get the vets to help me more is if that test comes back negative and I don't think it will.
I've read so much about fip.... He doesn't have a fever, he's not anemic, he's not a kitten, he's not in a multi-cat household, he's not stressed, he's not a common breed that gets it, his lymphocytes aren't low, his globulin level isn't high. Uuugghhhh. But what else could it possibly be? The only thing that I can think of that would make this make some sense is that his entire life, at random times, he will get sneezing fits. One of the last times his eyes were watery the entire him he dealt with the sneezing. It would sometimes go on for a couple of days - random sneezing attacks. I don't know...what that maybe that coronavirus attacking him and this last time he just couldn't fit it off all the way and it mutated into fip?
All I know is that we're racing against the clock and it may already be too late. He refused to eat yesterday. I managed to syringe some into his mouth but he fought me and then hid for hours after. I don't want to give up but I also don't know what else to do.

Dickie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you have made PCR specific for FIP (RealPCR - Idexx) or simply for coronavirus. If this is the case, it will probably be positive, but does not indicate that the FIP indicates that the cat has been exposed to a coronavirus and may or may not mutate, but it is not a reliable diagnosis. The Idexx laboratory test is more reliable because it looks for the specific mutation and that, along with other factors, would help more to make an accurate diagnosis.

Has your vet explained what type of PCR it is?

We are waiting for the results and we continue to be confident and hopeful:crossfingers:

lucy2423

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh lord... I didn't know there was a difference. So they can run the test for either FIP or coronavirus?
I don't think my vet even knows what's going on. I told her I had read, over and over, that FIP is more common in kittens and she didn't agree with me. Okay...so every article I keep coming across has incorrect information? Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
If this is the wrong test, I highly doubt there will be enough time to test again. Either way, what can even be done at this point if he's refusing to eat? He wouldn't come out from under the bed when I was home for lunch. Just seemed like he was really tired and wanted to sleep.
Say they run the test and it's the correct test, and it's negative. What in the world could be other options? What else could this problem be? The second vet did a urinalysis and that came back normal.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was waiting to hear a reply to my questions before posting my opinion after carefully reviewing the results of lab work you posted.
Just to be clear, I am not a vet and this is based on my experience in dealing with FIP in my rescue group, but I don't see FIP as the likely culprit.
I hate to call a vet wrong, but I can tell you one thing for sure, while you can google FIP and yes an older cat is technically able to have it, it is extremely rare and just not seen.
I do however think that you are going to be dealing with something else big, but may be treatable, no way to know until an accurate diagnosis, but I can say from first hand experience, some cancers will cause tummy fluid.

If he is not getting at least 50% of his normal daily calories he will go in to HP, hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) and you do not want that for sure.
Time is critical now to get calories in him, feed or force syringe feed anything at this point as your first priority, as it can happen at anytime.

Get him to a new vet asap. Based on blood results I don't believe this is likely FIP.
The titer testing will likely be positive since nearly all cats at some time have been exposed to corona virus but has no bearing on FIP unless it is negative.

He needs an ultrasound done again but by a highly skilled tech who does nothing but this on a daily basis, vets are not normally all that skilled especially performing US that are difficult.

EDIT-I just read the fluid analysis, disappointed not to see a clear description of the fluid, some cell abnormalities present, but the high protein mentioned is why they have m,ade up their minds.
FIP shows different in every cat, but one thing they all have in common is at the start of showing sickness there is a fever present that does not respond to antibiotics.
Also, FIP in the wet form progresses fast, usually from the time of onset of symptoms, within 2 weeks the cat is put down or dies, which is why I asked how long he has been feeling sick and hiding.
Dry is often more like months.

Last edited:

lucy2423

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whatever this is does seem to be progressing quickly. Just last weekend he started spacing out and sitting in a crouched position on the floor. A week later and he's hiding under the bed and has lost a noticeable amount of weight.
As far as I know, he never had a fever. Is it possible it broke before I took him to the vet the first time?
What else would cause high protein levels in that fluid?
It's interesting you mention how it's not all that common in older cats. That's all I've read and my vet said the opposite - that she hasn't seen it very much in kittens, just older cats... I'm really starting to wonder about this vet.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes that is the opposite of what I have experienced. It goes after kittens and immune deficient cats less than 3 years, and felv positive cats, any with a compromised/weak immune system.
A 9 year old cat is in a strong, stable state which is why it is not seen in older cats.
There are other things that cause this, which can be narrowed down due to it's protein content. Inflammation, immune response activity, parasites, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, bacterial infection, fungi, etc
High protein fluid is called exudate fluid or a high protein transudate.
This is an excellent site, carefully read this while comparing the fluid results.
It narrows the causes down a good deal and will help tell you what the possibilities are.
Effusions | eClinpath

Last edited:

lucy2423

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's why I'm just wondering if all of his prior sneezing/water eye episodes were a hint that this was coming some day? Maybe the last time he had it happen (which wasn't that horribly long ago) started all this??? That's the only thing that fits when so much else doesn't fit.
Thank you for the link. I will review it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sneezing and watery eyes popping up randomly is likely herpesvirus or calici, prob herpesvirus though.
The most common URI in cats and mostly acquired during kittenhood.
Coronavirus is not an ongoing virus like that, where it pops up here and there, it is one which passes through the system and is gone.
That is unless it is going to mutate in to fip.

lucy2423

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PCR results are in. Negative. Now they have no idea what's going on and I'm afraid I'm going to lose Tiger because of all this waiting around for tests and guessing at things.