Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Were Bottle Feeding Guidelines Different In ‘08??

Discussion in 'Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care' started by fromthevalley, Feb 9, 2019.

1. fromthevalley

fromthevalley Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    Okay so here’s the explanation. I’ve been bored and binge watching Animal Planet shows, including Animal Cops. In the one episode a mama kitten was rescued and gave birth. The mom was too weak so they had to bottle feed. They stated a few times they were feeding every four hours. NONE of the kittens made it. Now, it’s been a while since I’ve had bottle babies, but I could have sworn newborns got fed every two.

Furballsmom and golondrina purraised this.

2. war&wisdom

war&wisdom TCS Member Super Cat

Aug 2, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Two hours is what the Kitten Lady does, as well as our resident experts.

3. StefanZ

StefanZ Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Sep 18, 2005
    Sweden
    On labels of KMR it is waay to seldom.
    May be ok for an very healthy orphan, but not enough for a weak one.

Peculiar really, PetAg is a good brandmaker.

4. Kflowers

Kflowers TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 28, 2018
    I think every four hours was all they were willing to do. Remember in 2008 if they had terrified cats they were 'unadoptable' and pts. If they rescued pit bulls they were 'unadoptable' and pts. Special needs animals -- no way they could afford...'the kindest thing was to pts. Just keep that in mind as you're watching.

BTW it's been feed the kits every two hours since the 1940s, which was when the instruction book was published that I used in the 1970s.

5. fromthevalley

Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    I read my KMR jar (I might have stopped bottle feeding but emergencies happen!) and it said every two hours so it wasn’t just me going crazy. It just breaks my heart.

Kflowers purraised this.

6. Kflowers

Kflowers TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 28, 2018
    Please note that the Philadelphia humane society did everything they could in 2008 and now to re-home pit bulls, putting only the ones who were truly unsafe down. Detroit had a straight pts policy saying that they were bred and raised to fight and that was that. I don't know if that has changed. The same was true of Houston. The Phoenix HS is rather depressing to watch.

7. golondrina

golondrina TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 3, 2011
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    May I ask what pts and HS mean? Many thanks.

8. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    PTS means Put To Sleep. HS means Humane Society.

Which Animal Cops was it? If I remember correctly, New York was pretty good and Houston was OK. And maybe Phoenix wasn't too terrible? but the rest were horrible and just depressing. Honestly half of them shouldn't have been within 10 feet of an animal. I remember them saying stupid things like "this ball python will grow to be 15 feet long and is DANGEROUS!!!" and other extremely stupid things.

9. fromthevalley

Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    It was Houston. I didn’t like it but I understood their fear of pit bulls, but not following simple directions on KMR and letting kittens die? If they didn’t want to take care of them/didn’t have the funds, they should have just humanely euthanised them instead of letting them suffer.

10. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    They might have believed wrong information and thought they were doing it right :dunno:. But you would think losing the kittens might have been a clue. . .

11. fromthevalley

Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    I would have thought. Anytime my bottle babies so much as sneezed I freaked out - do that with my adults too.

12. StefanZ

Sep 18, 2005
    Sweden
    Im happy they did changed. Or passible the labels are different in here and there - even if they shouldnt be...
    This is taken today from online from PetAgs site, re KMR in powder:

"Directions for Feeding: All kittens should receive their mother’s milk for at least 2 days, if possible. The colostrum milk gives extra nutrition and temporary immunity against some diseases. Warm reconstituted KMR to room or body temperature before serving. Feed kittens 2 tablespoons (30mL) of liquid KMR per 4 oz. (115g) of body weight daily. The daily feeding amount should be divided into equal portions for each feeding. Kittens' needs will vary and this amount may have to be increased or decreased, depending on the individual. Young and/or weak kittens should be fed every 3 to 4 hours. Older kittens can do well being fed every 8 hours. Weigh the kittens daily to assure adequate feeding. Consult your veterinarian for additional advice. .

13. fromthevalley

Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    Ah my directions are handwritten because the jar broke so I could have easily written it down wrong. P

14. kashmir64

kashmir64 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    I have never read any book on it, so I couldn't tell you about 'official guidelines'. However, I have been bottle feeding orphans since around 1990 and have always fed and wiped every two hours until they were around 4 weeks, then upped it to every three to four (depending on the kitten's needs). After six weeks, I could then leave kitten chow out for them overnight and only have to give formula every 6 or so hours, along with wet food 3x's a day.

golondrina and StefanZ purraised this.

15. StefanZ

Sep 18, 2005
    Sweden
    Tx dear God you did write it wrongly! :)

16. fromthevalley

Mar 28, 2015
    Ohio
    Well I only saw the 3 (in the 3-4) so I assumed it was every 2-3 hours because that was what I had been doing with the kittens, upping it as they got older until they weaned. I always followed my vets advice over the jar when it came to bottle babies.

StefanZ purraised this.