Wellness Plans

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I got an email the other day from my Vet about a wellness plan for one of my cats. It's one of those plans that are subscription based. You enroll and pay a monthly or annual fee and routine things like exams, blood work should be covered.

Does a wellness plan make sense or is it a sucker's bet?

Hoping others who've tried a wellness plan for their kitty can add their experiences with them.

Thanks in advance!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a wellness plan for both of my cats, who are both 15 years old. We chose this over pet insurance because it just seemed so much better in our opinion. It just so happens that one plan renews tomorrow, so I have the brochure right in front of me so I know what is included and can list the items if you are interested, but we signed up because dentals are extremely expensive and they are included in the plans if you chose that particular plan. Also, unlimited office visits, two comprehensive blood panels, vaccines, etc. For us, it has been worth it cost wise since with older cats we were having blood work done every six months anyway, and typically a dental annually. As it happened, last year I asked the Vet if she thought we could get by without a dental and she said "yes,things look good", so we switched to another plan that substituted an ultra sound or xrays and BP check and some other stuff for the dental.

So...I would say IF you need to use what comes with the plan, it is definitely a money saver. But if your cat is young and healthy and you would not use what is in the plan, then it's not worth it. Make sense?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I do have some questions. Maybe you can give general answers (as I know each plan could be a bit different). On the wellness plans, do you have to pay the full amount and then get reimbursed (like the way most insurance works)? Does the plan have co-pays and stuff? Or does the bill just show that the service and then zero charge since you've got it covered with the plan membership fee?

I was looking at the subscription cost for the whole year of the care plan my vet offered. It's more than what I paid for routine care for my cat that I brought most of the time to the vet. But the cat didn't have any dental done last year. Either way, I'd feel the expense. Sticker shock paying out of pocket or the plan membership fees.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our plan is NOT like insurance in that you pay the full amount and get reimbursed. Unless we are doing something extra that is not included in the plan, we are charged $0 for the visit. We usually get a nail trim when we go, so have to pay for that only. And even for extra services, because we are in a plan, they are discounted. Even medications are discounted because of being in a plan.

As I mentioned, if your cat is young and healthy so you only go once a year for an annual checkup with bloodwork, it probably wouldn't pay for itself. But if you go several times a year, have vaccinations, fecal tests, urinalysis, dentals, etc, then it would.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again. My cats are both adults (maybe senior). What age is a cat considered a senior. They both (siblings from same litter) will be 13 in about a week. One of them had been going several times a year for bloodwork also annual physical. The other only physical annual required but the vet did bring up dental too.

As, I said, my out of pocket last year is less than the annual subscription is. But on the other hand, psychologically would feel nice to not get sticker shocked each time going to the vet.

I've been playing with my own mind on how to pay for vet bills. What I've been doing is having a separate savings account with a large amount. The when I get a bill, I reimburse my checking account for the vet bill amount from my savings. At the start of the year, I add money back to the savings so it won't go low. I know, actually, I'm just shuffling money around but that has a better psychological feel than just getting hammered will a large bill without anything already saved.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mrsgreenjeens, I'm glad the your cats' wellness plans are working out for you.

Well, looks like I'm back to my credit card and savings account are my cats health and wellness plan :confused:.

My vet is a short walk from me so I walked there and asked about that wellness plan. I mentioned that my cat has an appointment tomorrow for some blood work and if I enrolled is that covered by the wellness plan. The answer was "No". So much for that. I guess the fine print is only certain lab work that they decide is covered.

In my case, the wellness plan they are pushing is pretty much a sales pitch and snake oil.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a bummer! If bloodwork isn't even covered, then I would say it doesn't sound worth it. And in your case, since you've already totaled up all expenses from last year and they were less than the plan already, it didn't seem like it would have been worth it any way.

As to your question about when cats are considered seniors, technically they are seniors at age 8 . Lots of folks start getting semi annual exams at that stage.

But I want to add that I have had some of my elderly cats who I would NOT have gotten a plan for. My last kidney cat, for example, never needed a dental, nor did she have any issues that would have required an ultra sound or xrays. So all in all, it was less expensive to just take her in for blood word and exams without having the plan.

Last edited:

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I asked about the wellness plan coverage at my vet, the first thing she said was it's not insurance then something about pre-existing conditions and the test my cat is scheduled for was ordered by the doctor. My line of thinking was a lab test is a lab test and the tests was due to my cat's hyperthyroid from about 2 years ago. The plan even lists thyroid disorders as one of the advanced screening. Apparently, maybe only what's included is initial screening but not follow up. Which seems to me making the plan not offer any advantage to me. Feels like when a car dealer has a "package" you can subscribe to to get regular maintenance (oil change, other car fluids). But better for me to just pay separately when the expense arises.

I was considering the care plan mainly because of possible dental. But when during the next annual physical and the vet suggests a dental cleaning, will be tough pay such a high amount out of pocket.

Now I know.