Wellness Core Kitten???

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I'm trying to expand my 14-week-old Bella's diet. Right now, I'm feeding her primarily Wellness Kitten wet with a little Wellness Kitten Health dry between meals. I also feed her Wellness Healthy Indulgence Chicken & Chicken Liver/Turkey & Chicken recipes three times a week and Weruva Nine Liver/Paw Licken' Chicken once a week in addition to the Wellness Kitten. I've noticed that Wellness now has intoduced a kitten variety to their Wellness Core Grain-Free wet and dry foods. I'm wondering if anyone is currently feeding these varieties to their little ones and if they're more "better" than Wellness Kitten. The reason for my inquiry is that I'm confused with all the different wet/dry foods "out there" and I want to provide my little one the best that I can. I can't give her a raw diet for many reasons. I ask for your patience as I provide the analyses:

Wellness Core Grain-Free Kitten Formula (wet):

INGREDIENTS: Turkey, Chicken Liver, Turkey Broth, Chicken, Herring, Chicken Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Menhaden Fish Oil, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Ground Flaxseed, Cranberries, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Magnesium Oxide, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Folic Acid.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein min.12.0%
Crude Fat min.7.50%
Crude Fibermax.0.5%
Moisturemax.78.0%
Ash max.2.50%
Magnesium max.0.028%
Taurinemin.0.10%
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)* min.0.04%
Wellness Core Grain-Free Kitten Formula (dry):

Deboned Turkey, Whitefish Meal, Deboned Chicken, Herring Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, Turkey Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Natural Chicken Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Cranberries, Chicory Root Extract, Choline Chloride, Salmon Oil, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)], Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate], Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude ProteinNot Less Than45.0%
Crude Fat
Not Less Than

18.0%
Crude Fiber
Not More Than

3.0%
Moisture
Not More Than

11.0%
Calcium
Not More Than
1.8%
PhosphorusNot More Than1.45%
Magnesium
Not More Than

0.13%
Vitamin E Not Less Than200 IU/kg
Taurine
Not Less Than

0.2%
Omega 6 Fatty Acids*
Not Less Than

3.50 %
Omega 3 Fatty Acids*
Not Less Than
0.80 %
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)*
Not Less Than
0.15 %
Beta-Carotene*Not Less Than2 mg/kg
Total Lactic Acid Microorganisms* Not Less Than90,000,000 CFU/lb

(Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus in equal amounts)
The Core formula doesn't contain the fruits and vegatables that "regular" formula does. Also, it contains more Omega 3 Fatty Acids. I'm wondering if chicory root extract is healthy for kittens/cats. Should I be worried about that? Thank you in advance for any insight you may provide. Also, thank you for your patience and reading...

jlc20m

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like most of the Wellness line. My kittens grew up healthy with Wellness kitten wet food in their rotation. The new core dry has whitefish as the 2nd ingredient and herring is 4th. I don't like to feed too much fish because of the mercury. I would stick with the other one. Chicory root is a plant that adds a little bulk to the food. I haven't heard that it's a problem for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like most of the Wellness line. My kittens grew up healthy with Wellness kitten wet food in their rotation. The new core dry has whitefish as the 2nd ingredient and herring is 4th. I don't like to feed too much fish because of the mercury. I would stick with the other one. Chicory root is a plant that adds a little bulk to the food. I haven't heard that it's a problem for cats.
thank you for your reply, smitten4kittens. i'll stick with wellness kitten and perhaps use the core as a treat. i really appreciate your input very much!!!

jlc20m

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with smitten4kittens, Cuddles grew up healthy on Wellness kitten before her switch to raw, I only ever used Core as a treat because of the whitefish. Wellness is a good brand, so I would stick with Wellness kitten Grain Free. :D

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses. I will take your advice and stick to Wellness Kitten wet for 98% of Bella's diet. She munches on Wellness Kitten Health dry between meals (four times per day lol) only when she's really hungry. I also give her Wellness Health Indulgence chicken/turkey only varieties (I mix it in with the wet, a few times a week) and Weruva chicken only varieties (once per week). I don't want to expose Bella to mercury and other things. This is why I avoid Tiki Cat. (The chicken only varieties aren't available up where I am). So, I either avoid the Core or feed it as a treat only. Thank you for your guidance.

Jlc20m :)

Last edited:

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more wellness for me .  One of my cats is allergic to wellness, it was a terrible experience.  

Last edited:

rbortmas5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am feeding all 3 of my siamese kittens wellness core kitten wet/dry and I love it so do they.  They are growing like weeds and very playful and full of energy.  The only problem is the price, it's breaking the bank every month purchasing this online.  Any suggestions on where to get it cheaper?

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i agree wellness is expensive. so are the other foods: blue wilderness, weruva, merricks, innova. my bella needs a job, lol...

jlc20m