Wellness Complete Canned, Hairballs, Dry Ideas

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Over the past month we switched from Blue buffalo freedom indoor to wellness complete for both wet and dry. Yoshi is 12yr and 14 lb. Sqeeker is 10yr and 9lb.

Feeding Schedule:

7-8am 1/2 small can (Yoshi gobbles but doesn't get sick. Sqeeker nibbles, gets his food covered, and lets us know when he wants it uncovered) (ends up being Yoshi 2/3 and Sqeeker 1/3) They both took right to the Wellness with no looking back

11a-noon 1/4cp Fancy Feast dry (I want to cut this out and up the wet but we started it 15yrs ago to try and get a kitten to like my partner who was out all day and now my partner won't hear of stopping it) (Sqeeker won't touch any left over wet after this so we let Yoshi have it)

5p -6p 1/2 small can (Yoshi gobbles but doesn't get sick. Sqeeker nibbles, gets his food covered, and lets us know when he wants it uncovered) (ends up being Yoshi 2/3 and Sqeeker 1/3)

9p-10p 1/4cp Fancy Feast dry (I want to cut this out and up the wet but we started it 15yrs ago to try and get a kitten to like my partner who was out all day and now my partner won't hear of stopping it) (Sqeeker won't touch any left over wet after this so we let Yoshi have it)

Freefeed Wellness complete dry - When they were getting Blue buffalo and during the switch when they were mixed it took 2-3 days for them eat a cup. For the past 2 weeks they've eaten none of the dry wellness.

Sqeeker likes treats and will eat 5 Temptaions or Greenies a day. Yes, he counts and will not eat 6.

Opening 3 cans of Blue buffalo with black burnt pieces brought on this. Luckily I still had the receipt and took it all back. I took one of the open cans to show them why. So I also don't trust their dry now.

I weigh them each Monday before breakfast and they maintain. They are both at a healthy weight and don't want them to lose. The Wellness dry are tiny pellets that sound very hard when they've tried to chew them or play hockey with them. I'm looking for suggestions for a healthier dry food that won't break the bank.

The other development since the switch is Yoshi has a very big hairball every few days. So I think we also need an indoor higher fiber dry.

I go in the store and just get overwhelmed so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
For dry, I recommend Dr. Elsey's CleanProtein. It's a bit out of your price range, but they will send you free samples (wet and dry) if you ask. Amazon/Chewy usually run really good deals as well. The food is also extremely high calorie (550 cal/cup) so they would eat much, much less of it. You would have to do some math but it may be cheaper in the long run to feed rather than the Wellness based off of the calories.