Well, that's it.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course you cried! Life as you've known it for many, many years has just turned upside down. You have loving friends to help you adjust and find the new you. I promise good things are here!

Make a list of things you want to do but do only a couple at a time. Breathe. Stretch. Make yourself take time to read book. Bake. You'll get the hang of it. You just have to unwind slowly. Yes, work will pop into your mind. That's natural. That will pass.

Enjoy your new life!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!Retirement can be bittersweet,and so we cry.It'll take some time to get used to....it's quite a life changing experience
to walk away (okay...happily)from what we've know for so many years.Take a deep breath,sleep in tomorrow morning and enjoy that first cup of coffee!
So happy for you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I retired from teaching they pleaded with me to come back and substitute teach so I did which helped me ease into semi-retirement. However, on the first day of the new school year when I saw the children in our neighborhood going back to school I felt a sense of loss. All my co-workers told me it takes a good year to settle into a routine and figure out what you want to do. Now is the time to pamper yourself in that wonderful she-shed. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy Rick retired at 68; he kept dithering around about it and finally said enough was enough. I'm 64 now, but will be 65 when I officially retire next month on my 65th birthday. I was able to use the December and January holidays, my personal days, and all my vacation days so that my last working day was yesterday, but I won't officially retire until in January. It was hard not taking any vacation days since June when my new year kicked in, but it worked out well.

Rick's been emptying the dishwasher during the week since he retired; I did it on weekends. This morning, he looked at the dishwasher, looked at me, grinned, and sacked out on the couch. OK, then!

For years, the kids have been getting a "Mama's leaving for work now!" snack: each had a handful of kibble and The Beast got her cookie. This morning, while I was making my coffee, they all gathered in the kitchen for their snack. Mama may be retired, but if Mama thinks they don't need a snack, she's sadly mistaken. And I just gave them their snack.

Yesterday, I was at work drinking my coffee at this time. This morning? I'm at home. Yeah, I'll get used to it, but for now, it feels weird.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy Rick retired at 68; he kept dithering around about it and finally said enough was enough. I'm 64 now, but will be 65 when I officially retire next month on my 65th birthday. I was able to use the December and January holidays, my personal days, and all my vacation days so that my last working day was yesterday, but I won't officially retire until in January. It was hard not taking any vacation days since June when my new year kicked in, but it worked out well.

Rick's been emptying the dishwasher during the week since he retired; I did it on weekends. This morning, he looked at the dishwasher, looked at me, grinned, and sacked out on the couch. OK, then!

For years, the kids have been getting a "Mama's leaving for work now!" snack: each had a handful of kibble and The Beast got her cookie. This morning, while I was making my coffee, they all gathered in the kitchen for their snack. Mama may be retired, but if Mama thinks they don't need a snack, she's sadly mistaken. And I just gave them their snack.

Yesterday, I was at work drinking my coffee at this time. This morning? I'm at home. Yeah, I'll get used to it, but for now, it feels weird.
Enjoy every second of it! You deserve it. There is no such thing as retirement in the world of cats. That just means "more time to spoil US ".

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your retirement.
I was almost 69 when I retired, and most certainly did not cry when I left, because I had to come back the next day to retrieve my tools- it took two trips to get them all- and turn in my keys to the various buildings.
I hope you have a plan to keep busy, because I have seen too many people who retire without one, and it doesn't end well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've been saying that I want one year to myself. Just one year. To start a blog, maybe get the Rag back up online and running. To get things done in the house, to do some things that I want to do, to work in the yard, just to be. One year. And then I'll decide what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Rick and I may take some Master Gardener classes; even if he decides against the classes, I'm going to take them. I want to volunteer for a local cat adoption cafe in town. And who knows, there may be a part time job in my future. Rick is debating about starting an eBay shop, simply to sell some of his sports collectibles. I can help out with that. And he's still doing his union thing, which means that I'm still doing his union thing. :)

But for now, it's about me. I want that feeling of bliss when I wake up in the morning, look out the window, see a foot of snow on the ground and say, "HA!" and can go back to bed. I want that feeling of seeing a perfectly lovely spring morning and know that I can go outside and play in the soil. Or a swelteringly hot summer day and know that I can simply go out in the pool for the afternoon. I want to be able to go outside and mow the yard during the week and not have to wait for a weekend. I want to be able to go fishing with Rick; while he's trying to catch fish, I can lie on the lounge and read for a while. And afterwards have a nice walk, followed by a bit of lunch or early supper picnic. I haven't had enough of those days. And I want to enjoy them while I'm still young enough to do so. If that makes sense.

That's enough of a plan for me for right now. One year. And then I'll see what the future holds.