Well, that was fun

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a massive gas leak at my apartment complex today, the kind where you have to call 911 and get everyone out of the building and out of the area while the firefighters try to plug the leak and praying that no one turned on the stove or light a match in the meantime. Thank goodness I was home, as I was able to grab my little kitty and our emergency kits and be out in the nearby park in less than 2 minutes.

I think my kit could use some work though. Right now I have his vet records, a few canned food, a couple of water bottles and a blanket. Good for maybe a few hours, but in the case of a major disaster (such as our poor friends in Alberta), I think that's woefully inadequate.

Do you have an emergency preparedness kit for your kitties? What is in your kits?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a list of things for an emergency pet kit: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/disaster-preparedness

If a pet needs medication, make sure to keep supplies on hand to use (syringes, needles, Pill Pockets, etc). Have a list of medications that your pet needs, including dose amounts and frequency, and the phone number for the vet so you can quickly call to get medicine or a prescription.

I don't have a kit but should make one just in case. I'm just not sure how I would be able to carry a kit plus two carriers if I ever need to evacuate. Maybe if the kit is small enough it could go in the carrier with Leroy

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have some things in a backpack.  It's more of a partial kit at this point.  It's got some of the girls medical records (which really need to be updated since both are on daily medications now) as well as copies of our home insurance information and that sort of thing. I put it together when a hurricane was headed this way several years ago.  At the time we had more things prepared

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad you guys got out and are OK. Glad that it wasn't worse than it was.

A lot of our home stuff that we really have to keep is in our safe deposit box. As for the furkids, it's bottles and bottles of water, an extra bottle of Dausequin (for BooBoo), and extra bottle of Composure (for Molli and Muffin), 20 cans of food that I rotate, small foil pie plates (for feeding), an old foil oblong baking pan for cat litter, and a couple small bowls for the water. We are definitely under-prepared right now.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I ever had you get out quickly, I'd have no trouble getting hold of whisky but blighty is a lost cause. He can't be picked up and would go and hide where we wouldn't be able to find him. He'd have to be left behind. That would break my heart. He's so sweet but difficult and I love him so much. He'd be terrified. Any suggestions apart from an arrow to make him sleep? ,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scary.  Glad you and your kitty were able to get out ok, and that nothing came of the situation.  Gas leaks are serious business!
The nice thing was that I got to see all my neighbors' kitties. :lol3: We're all kitty people, there's maybe one our or two units in my building that doesn't have a cat.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
This is a good reminder.  I used to keep an emergency box in the basement but got lazy about rotating food or keeping it up.  I do have their carriers all in a central location in the house but still, it would be tough rounding up four cats in a quick amount of time.  

I have their records, along with all my personal records, scanned to Dropbox (online storage) so they can be accessed anywhere from a phone or computer.  

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I really should go over things. Abby's carrier and some food are in the closet near the door and there used to be a disposable litter box in there too.