Well one problem solved and here comes the next one . . .

catdancing1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mimi has settled down nicely and is doing well. However, Nefra has decided that the guest bed is a good place to pee, this started a few days ago. I have two boxes cleaned twice a day. Have cleaned all the bedding & mattress covered it with a plastic cover and she is still peeing on it. Wiped it down with ammonia. This morning she pooped in the bathtub, which if your going to go is not the worst place. She doesn't seem stressed, eating like a piggy and generally very happy young cat. Any suggestions? I thought perhaps I should put another box in the bathtub for her "exclusive" use.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Peeing AND pooping outside of the box? I think she needs to go to the vet, and the sooner the better. :rub:

Often, peeing on soft things that smell like you is a behavior problem (not always) - their scent mixing with yours is calming to them. BUT.. peeing and/or pooping on "hard" surfaces (the plastic on the bed, the bathtub) is usually (not always) a sign of a medical problem. To me, using the bathtub, and peeing on the bed despite the plastic sheet are large red flags that she needs medical attention. :(

Cats have so few ways to let us know they don't feel well. When a cat that was previously using a box stops using it, the first thing to do is get them to a vet. You should take a poop sample, and hopefully she'll have enough urine in her bladder for them to do a quick needle aspiration to get a clean urine sample for a urinalysis. :nod:

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, ammonia does a poor job of cleaning cat urine. Cat urine already smells like ammonia! Try an enzyme based cleaner for better results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdancing1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think (fingers crossed) I have solved the issue.  I popped the tops of the litter boxes and we have gone since yesterday morning with no incidents.  I also put another container in the tub for her use, she showed absolutely no interest and was quite willing to use the boxes.  Will purchase a large container with no lid per the resident vet recommendation.  She is not showing any signs of bladder irritation/inflammation, hanging out in the box, not eating etc.  She and her brother were feral and I think she decided that she didn't like to be boxed in, also I am wondering if Raffles was ambushing her when she popped out of the box!  Sprayed the bed with an organic enzyme and installed a pheremone ball near the litter box to make everybody happy!  She wolfed down her breakfast and then ate Raffles as he wasn't fast enough, so I don't think she is ill, just making a point about her preferences!