Well! My Two Cats Learned How To Open Cabinet Doors!

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyday I come back from work, I have to figure out which cabinet they are in now. Also everything inside the cabinets become their toys now. :(

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you can try putting pet-proof locks on the doors?

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL I think this is pretty common. Cats love exploring. You can find tools to keep them shut tho in any big box store - just get the same things they use to keep babies out.

Just be happy yours hasn't learned how to turn on the sink yet...mine has...guess how i found out... :thud:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
oops! My cats used to do the same. I got some child safety locks from the baby departments that goes on cabinets and helped keep them out.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl is always trying to sneak into fridge and succeed sometimes. She also jumped into the freezer which is on top. She is an athlete :cool2:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doors being opened, faucets left running and light switches flicked on and off I don't mind much. Monday night was too hot to use the oven, and the rain made grilling impossible, so I used the toaster oven for lamb chops. Coming back into the kitchen, I noticed that the power light was on, although I could have sworn I'd turned it off. A few minutes later I heard the familiar "ding" and peered around the corner to find the Snowshoe pushing the power bar down - no doubt hoping that a lamb chop would suddenly appear. The toaster over is now unplugged.

Last night it was the blender. I use it - an ancient Oster with a "Pulse" button as well as an on / off switch - for milk shakes in the Summer. Coming back in from the patio, there's Moo Shu on the counter, pushing the pulse button - and then backing up a few steps with her back arched because of the awful noise - to watch the blender spin madly. Step forward gingerly, push button, jump backward, and repeat. Well, at least now I know why my electric bill is so high.

lamb2.jpg

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Current cat is unable to figure out she can open a partly shut door, so I definitely don't need to worry about cabinets. And no cats on counters is a hard and fast rule here. I did have one cat though, Siamese of course, who would sneak on the counter overnight or while I was away, pull the top off the sugar canister and spread sugar from one end to the other.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current cat is unable to figure out she can open a partly shut door, so I definitely don't need to worry about cabinets. And no cats on counters is a hard and fast rule here. I did have one cat though, Siamese of course, who would sneak on the counter overnight or while I was away, pull the top off the sugar canister and spread sugar from one end to the other.
With a single cat, rules such as, "no cats on the counter," are more easily maintained. With just a few cats, one can generally keep the, "no cats on the table during mealtime," rule pretty well. With ten cats, the rules tend to soften just a bit. Here it's, "cats can eat from my plate during dinner, but they cannot stand directly on the plate to do so," which is approximately equivalent to, "no cats on the counter," in most homes.

There's a small exception to this, however when my Veterinarian comes for dinner, since - rather than cutting one piece off a steak, eating it, and then cutting another - he cuts the entire steak into pieces first. As far as I'm concerned, doing this is an invitation to Fate, and means that all bets are off. The Snowshoe invariably will leap up beside him, slap at his plate, knocking a piece or two into the middle of the table, where she'll then consume them at her leisure. Of course, I always scold her, saying quietly, "you shouldn't do that," because I'm a considerate host.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
ma
With a single cat, rules such as, "no cats on the counter," are more easily maintained. With just a few cats, one can generally keep the, "no cats on the table during mealtime," rule pretty well. With ten cats, the rules tend to soften just a bit. Here it's, "cats can eat from my plate during dinner, but they cannot stand directly on the plate to do so," which is approximately equivalent to, "no cats on the counter," in most homes.

There's a small exception to this, however when my Veterinarian comes for dinner, since - rather than cutting one piece off a steak, eating it, and then cutting another - he cuts the entire steak into pieces first. As far as I'm concerned, doing this is an invitation to Fate, and means that all bets are off. The Snowshoe invariably will leap up beside him, slap at his plate, knocking a piece or two into the middle of the table, where she'll then consume them at her leisure. Of course, I always scold her, saying quietly, "you shouldn't do that," because I'm a considerate host.
Many years ago before I ever considered a cat should be in the house I went to dinner at a friends house and was shocked to see cats cleverly arranged on the dining table. Several happily curled up in plates. I was aghast. Funny how perception changes not long ago I heard my husband ask Toad how she got on top of the fridge and as he picked her up said here let me put you on the counter where you belong. The cats need to be on your level will win. For me I would love to get up some morning and find Kitten's big wet footprints on all the counters. Her water bowl was beside the sink. Next to one of her beds and food dish. I have power strips to turn on the small appliances saves all that nasty tugging on cords and trying to sort them.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I went the I will reign down death from water bottle if I see you on the dining room table or counter route. It worked. Though when I'm sleeping all bets are off. Also when they were kittens I had water bottles everywhere. Now I have one that is mostly ignored (if my hyper cat is really bugging the other one I will give it a warning shake. Then I redirect him with play.) Everywhere else they are free to be. My cat does know how to open doors with the long bar handles :)
If you don't want them in your cabinets some baby safe cabinet latches are cheap ... and they are hidden inside.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cheaper than child safe locks, a metal-free hairband will do the trick to stop twin doors from being opened easily. in the unlikely event that it does snap, there's no metal to hurt kitty's eyes and a ping on the paw will likely put them off.. at least until you find another band.

For dinner time .... your mum taught you it's polite to share.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've had the occasional cat on the dining room table when company is over, whiskers in the whipped cream pie, etc. But I learned the hard way not to set the table the night before unless I want place settings rearranged. ;) However, an exceptionally mischievous long hair tabby figured out how to get in the kitchen cabinets with child-proof locks. He discovered the can I kept for grease drippings under the sink, helped himself to a meal but could not figure out how to get out. Fortunately I was not home and my husband had to clean up the mess which needless to say came out both ends inside the cabinet. :eek: There's more stories about this extremely impish cat but I'll spare you the rest for now.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend installed child proof hooks inside two cabinet doors for me. I gave up after asking at four different pet stores about pet proofing and went to a hardware store for child proofing supplies. Last week he opened the cabinet above the fridge where I keep cereal boxes, so I guess another trip to the hardware store is in my future.

I thought I'd be keeping Luciano off the counters and table, but it's proven to be too difficult. Besides, my main goal now is to get him to stop biting and scratching me.

Munki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine go in and sleep! It's very common. :) Kudos. You have smarties. :D