Well I think I reached my last straw

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry about the title i hit enter by mistake before I was finished. Well its been a very trying few months but I think its come down to I can;t live in the same house with this terror.  I defently don;t think a calming collar or anything else at this point will do any bit of good. I was cleaing in the kitchen just wiping down my counter and desided to feed her. I had already just given her a peice of turky from my sandwich and I knew she needed some cat food. She was in my bedroom and as soon as I poured the food out she came runing but not for the food. she was screaming and came directly at my foot and lached on with claws and teeth just out of nowhere. Not only that she also puncherd my thumb. Not a scrach a puncher. I don;t want to see her put down but that maybe my only choice. she acts like a feral and is now very antisocial unless you have something she wants and then she acts so lovingly until she get it then its back to trying to attack you the very next second its like she reverted back to when she was a kitten becasuse its exsactly how she acted when I got her as a ferel. I may feel diffren;t later today but right now I don't think I can take it anymore. I just don;t know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat like this,he was left at my house by the previous tenant,his problem was though my other cats,he had always been an only cat and also not treated very well at all. He attacked me so badly I needed stitches.I could not have ever had him put to sleep though,I contacted several rescues and found him a home on a farm,I have kept in touch with the lady who helped find him the home and he is super happy there which makes me happy.

Have you took your cat to the vets to rule out any underlying problems?

x

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Truffleshuffle, have you actually yet tried any of the things the other posters mentioned in your previous thread? Namely,

1. A trip to a different vet (not the one that recommended the spray bottle) like Ruthy just said, to rule out a UTI or something medically wrong that can be making her lash out. Also to check her hearing and eyesight.
2. A calming collar
3. Feliway
4. Anti-anxiety/aggression medicine.

I'm not telling you that you don't have the right to free speech, but I am warning you that you will encounter a ton of opposition if you talk on this site about putting your cat down. Especially if you haven't tried anything yet to help her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been there before. I lived with a kitty who would attack any other cats, dogs, or humans. She peed outside the box & was unpredictable.

It took a long time, but we got her calmed down to the point we could live in peace. She was an adult cat (deaf to boot) that I nabbed from outdoors when she was probably 3 years old. I hesitate to call her feral, as while she was not socialized with people at all she wasn't truly feral.

Feliway worked wonders for her, and yes I did eventually end up getting medication from the vet to give her. She's no longer on meds, doesn't need them once we got her so she felt comfortable in her environment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Truffleshuffle, have you actually yet tried any of the things the other posters mentioned in your previous thread? Namely,
1. A trip to a different vet (not the one that recommended the spray bottle) like Ruthy just said, to rule out a UTI or something medically wrong that can be making her lash out. Also to check her hearing and eyesight.
2. A calming collar
3. Feliway
I'm not telling you that you don't have the right to free speech, but I am warning you that you will encounter a ton of opposition if you talk on this site about putting your cat down. Especially if you haven't tried anything yet to help her.
The problem is that there really is no other vet I can take her too right now I have taken every animle I have to this vet and have always had positive exsperinces whith the other animles. she has had a recent check up last month and was found to be fine although I was planning another sometime in feb to check her eyes and hearing.I have  her on a calming collar at this moment and nothing has changed she has been on one since the first time I think it was p3 and king suggested it and if anything she seems worse. I tried a few a year or so ago  without any positive resuts but figured I would give her another shot with it. Right now I can;t afford any reacurring med exspenses. If something needing surgery came up I would get it done but It would be pushing my expenses to the limit. At this point I think it best to find her someplace that can handle her problems better than I. If they say putting her down is the only option I will not do that and just keep looking for a suitable place.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2. A calming collar
3. Feliway
I must add I tried all of this and more with Harvey,the last option was medication and I just could not bring myself to do this and change him for who he was. I still miss him now even thought he wasn't my cat and I always think I just wish I had tried more,please do not give up on your cat.x

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I must add I tried all of this and more with Harvey,the last option was medication and I just could not bring myself to do this and change him for who he was. I still miss him now even thought he wasn't my cat and I always think I just wish I had tried more,please do not give up on your cat.x

I am still going to try I don;t want to give up but its getting to a point of no return. We both can only take so much Its stressing us both out and stress isan't good for either of us. I am going to a rescue center and see what they suggest is my best options are before I totaly just give up on her. I did find out a little more about her history She was a ferel that was taken in after the mother was killed when she was about 8 or 9 months old.Right after I got her I had her spayed becasue when she went into heat she was not just vocal but very violent. and even after she had been spayed she still remained violent.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell you for certainty, a rescue will not take her in.  Most if not all, are overrun and don't have the space or resources.  If you take her to the pound or to another shelter like the Humane Society or whatever (don't be fooled by the names, they are kill shelters) many will euthanize her as soon as you are out the door.  It is a death sentence.  They also do not have the time or resources to help her. 

If you don't have the money for a vet right now, call and explain the situations and ask if there is something that can be worked out.  Explain that you don't want to put her down but fear it may come to that if you don't get some resolution.  Ask about anxiety meds.  Ask about Feliway and The Calming Collar.  Many vets might go ahead and give you samples of anxiety meds to see if they help.  Like with people, it will need to build up in her system, so it may take a couple of weeks to see results.  Many vets do not want to see an otherwise healthy animal put down.  They will do what they can to help you and save you money if it means saving a life. 

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still going to try I don;t want to give up but its getting to a point of no return. We both can only take so much Its stressing us both out and stress isan't good for either of us. I am going to a rescue center and see what they suggest is my best options are before I totaly just give up on her. I did find out a little more about her history She was a ferel that was taken in after the mother was killed when she was about 8 or 9 months old.Right after I got her I had her spayed becasue when she went into heat she was not just vocal but very violent. and even after she had been spayed she still remained violent.

Sometimes I think like Harvey did they have such major issues, I chose not to medicate as I knew it would just not be him anymore,I was lucky to be able to find him a god home and I know now that he rules the roost on the farm and loves it. I knew that the ultimate problem was my cats, is there anything new that you have around your home that could of upset your kitty? Sometimes its just something simple but other times its not. Feliway didn't touch Harvey and though some people swear by it it doesn't work for everyone. I know cash is an issue and you said you would prefer to keep the same vet but I really think that a second opinion would be wise. If that doesn't work then go from there.I know its such a hard situation,especially when you love the cat so much. What Harvey did to me really scared me and I just couldn't trust him again after that although I knew that deep down he didn't mean it.x

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can tell you for certainty, a rescue will not take her in.  Most if not all, are overrun and don't have the space or resources.  If you take her to the pound or to another shelter like the Humane Society or whatever (don't be fooled by the names, they are kill shelters) many will euthanize her as soon as you are out the door.  It is a death sentence.  They also do not have the time or resources to help her. 

If you don't have the money for a vet right now, call and explain the situations and ask if there is something that can be worked out.  Explain that you don't want to put her down but fear it may come to that if you don't get some resolution.  Ask about anxiety meds.  Ask about Feliway and The Calming Collar.  Many vets might go ahead and give you samples of anxiety meds to see if they help.  Like with people, it will need to build up in her system, so it may take a couple of weeks to see results.  Many vets do not want to see an otherwise healthy animal put down.  They will do what they can to help you and save you money if it means saving a life. 

I wasan;t going to the rescue to see if they would take her in just for advice on how they delt with cats that had behaviorl problems becuae they deal with alot of problem cats. We take toy donations to them all the time. I was there to talk to them about some of the stuff like they put in water to help them out seeing how the calming collar dosen;t seem to be working. They were going to just give me some of there feliway plugings but they were out. I can afford vet visits its just the recurring med perscriptions that I would not be able to affored right now seeing as I already have to pay for my perscriptions being a diabetic. They belive part of the problem is that she was ferel when I got her and another probelm was agression displacment or something to that . I am going to try and stick it out becasue I know how sweet she can be.

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I think like Harvey did they have such major issues, I chose not to medicate as I knew it would just not be him anymore,I was lucky to be able to find him a god home and I know now that he rules the roost on the farm and loves it. I knew that the ultimate problem was my cats, is there anything new that you have around your home that could of upset your kitty? Sometimes its just something simple but other times its not. Feliway didn't touch Harvey and though some people swear by it it doesn't work for everyone. I know cash is an issue and you said you would prefer to keep the same vet but I really think that a second opinion would be wise. If that doesn't work then go from there.I know its such a hard situation,especially when you love the cat so much. What Harvey did to me really scared me and I just couldn't trust him again after that although I knew that deep down he didn't mean it.x
There is only one vet as of right now. There used to be two but the other retired or moved about two years ago. I am not going to give up just yet but Its just getting close to where something has to change and fast.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the medications may be available under Wal-Mart's (and other stores') $4-a-month generic program. Anyway, ask your vet. . .they don't usually bring it up themselves; you have to ask specifically about anti-anxiety/aggression meds. You may not even have to bring her in if he just saw her. But, yeah, talk to the rescue people, talk to your vet. Hopefully something will work for her.

Last edited:

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of the medications may be available under Wal-Mart's (and other stores') $4-a-month generic program. Anyway, ask your vet. . .they don't usually bring it up themselves; you have to ask specifically about anti-anxiety/aggression meds. You may not even have to bring her in if he just saw her. But, yeah, talk to the rescue people, talk to your vet. Hopefully something will work for her.

Yes I am going to have a convo with the vet to see what can be done. I want a resolution and hope for one where I can keep her around.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't know your cat.  You do.  Your vet does.  I had a cat like the one you are describing when I was a child.   Her name was Molly and we were pretty sure she was possessed or something.  This was before any calming collar or Feliway or anxiety meds were out there.  Truth be told, I don't think anything would have helped her anyway... It was just her personality.  I hope this is not the case with your Mouse.  I'm sorry nothings worked.  I guess her attack ruled out anything possibly wrong with her sight?  Or do you think that could still be a factor?  I would try everything I could and hope for the best.  Give it some time, too.  Meds especially are not going to be instant.  They have to build up in her system.  Have you tried soft paw caps for her claws?  That could be something that would save you from some punctures.  That way, if it is her personality and not anxiety of some sort, at least one problem would be resolved....

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't know your cat.  You do.  Your vet does.  I had a cat like the one you are describing when I was a child.   Her name was Molly and we were pretty sure she was possessed or something.  This was before any calming collar or Feliway or anxiety meds were out there.  Truth be told, I don't think anything would have helped her anyway... It was just her personality.  I hope this is not the case with your Mouse.  I'm sorry nothings worked.  I guess her attack ruled out anything possibly wrong with her sight?  Or do you think that could still be a factor?  I would try everything I could and hope for the best.  Give it some time, too.  Meds especially are not going to be instant.  They have to build up in her system.  Have you tried soft paw caps for her claws?  That could be something that would save you from some punctures.  That way, if it is her personality and not anxiety of some sort, at least one problem would be resolved....

I still plan on getting her eyes checked> I have not tried soft paws but if there boot type things not sure how I would be able to get them on without coming away missing a few digits. I have actualy thought about getting her declawed at least that way even if she attacked I would only worrie about the teeth. I would feel bad about declawing her but It might be the diffrents of being able to live in the same house together if something else dosen;t work. I could handle her mood swings if she didn;t have the weapons to go along with them.

truffleshuffle0

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well its taken a turn for the worse. This morning I had some family over to help bring in a new bed and take the old one away. Mousy desided to bolt the open door sometime during moving one box spring and bringing in the other. It happend in a matter of minutes. I looked for her for about and hour around my appartment to no avail and hoped she would just show back up. Even when We would go out side she would always stand basicly on the porch or maybe get a few feet away but always right in the area. This time she was no where around. About two hours later she showed up but there is a problem her right eye looks like it has blood in it. It seems like it bothers her a little bit she keeps squinting a bit but other than that she seems fine. She is eating  and dosen;t seem to be in pain.  She even played with her feather on a string thing for awhile before I noticed the eye. and got a closer look. I am fairly sure she can still see out of it and I will keep an update. I plan on taking her in the first thing in the morning unles she takes a turn for the worse sometime between now and then. I just hope its not going to be a operation but I think it looks more like when people get punched in the eye and it gets bloodshot.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still plan on getting her eyes checked> I have not tried soft paws but if there boot type things not sure how I would be able to get them on without coming away missing a few digits. I have actualy thought about getting her declawed at least that way even if she attacked I would only worrie about the teeth. I would feel bad about declawing her but It might be the diffrents of being able to live in the same house together if something else dosen;t work. I could handle her mood swings if she didn;t have the weapons to go along with them.
I am not an advocate for declawing but I would rather see a declawed kitty than a dead kitty.  My sister had to declaw hers because her landlord wouldn't except it any other way.  Belle acts like she still has her claws.  She doesn't walk funny and she is not in pain at all.  She was sensitive for about a week after it was done and now you can't even tell.  Though I am sure many will come on here with horror stories.  We are looking at declawing currently in my vet courses.  It is not as barbaric as it used to be.  The methods they use now are meant to heal fast and with way less pain than before.  And I will stand by my opening statement in this post, too.... Soft paws are caps that go on the claws to keep them from tearing up furniture and you.  They are meant to be an alternative to declawing.  Many swear by them.  Some say they aren't worth it.  It just depends on how you and your Mouse take to them.  Just like with everything else.  Your vet can put them on if you are afraid to do so... But they are OTC so you can do it yourself too if you are feeling brave.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NOT me! Since i don't want to derail this thread that is all I am going to say...
So you would rather have cats euthanized because people can't keep them because of Truffelshuffle's situation or my sisters situation than to have them declawed?  That makes sense!!  I admit, before going to veterinary school I was totally against it and I even gave h*** to my sister for having Belle done.  But, a lot of the information about declawing is outdated.  It is no longer done the way we think it is.  Here is the real information: 

"Onychectomy", which is considered the most common method of declaw surgery, is the actual amputation of the claw AND THE COMPLETE END TOE BONE JOINT. In most cases, the cat will be in pain for a week or even more, and this surgery can indeed cause postoperative complications. These complications can include hemorrhage, infection, and even nail re-growth after a period of time - often this re-growth is extremely painful, and can be extremely difficult to correct. Unfortunately, the majority of American veterinarians will often perform this surgery simply at the request of the cat's owners, without finding out the underlying reasons for the request. Also, many cat owners subject their felines to this surgery mistakenly thinking it is a much simpler, less painful procedure that it truly is. Declawing is not permitted in some countries, such as Great Britain, except for serious medical reasons. 

While laser surgery has been used for some years now in human medicine, it is just starting to catch on in veterinary medicine. There are some veterinary clinics that currently use a laser for all their declaw surgeries and they are reporting very positive advancements in the procedure itself and the lessening of adverse post-procedure side effects. The cats go home in significantly less pain than they would have after having had traditional surgery, they heal faster, and are up and walking 90% of the time without bandages in 3-4 hours, or as soon as their anesthesia wears off. This is certainly an important point to consider if there are absolutely no other viable alternatives to having the declaw surgery itself performed.

There are products out now such as SOFTPAWS[emoji]169[/emoji], that can be used (sort of like Lee Press-on nails) to discourage a chronic furniture scratcher. Take the time to try these products before even considering the permanent, irreversible, expensive and mutilating declaw surgery, as they have worked for millions of happy cats and their owners.

Many vets now only have the laser method as the method of declawing a cat because many of them feel it is the favorable way to go, not to mention... Legal way to go.   Still, when people think of declawing, they think of the more barbaric, Onechectomy. 

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

As someone who has been bitten by a cat, there is no way that I would prefer that to being clawed.