Weirdness About Treats

kirochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of my two 10-month-old kittens, each has a separate reaction to treats that is weird:

Katniss can't deal with the texture of treats. Freeze-dried, kibble-shaped, chewy - she can't figure out how to eat them. If I tear the freeze-dried chicken into very small pieces, she can manage it, awkwardly, dropping a lot as she's trying to eat it. But when it comes to other shapes and forms, she just licks them a bit and then gives up, or possibly licks one up but then drops it out of her mouth. This doesn't happen with regular kibble or wet food. I do think her way of taking the regular food in is a bit labored, definitely compared with Joakim's. He just hoovers up the dry food, while she seems to be licking a small bit and then lifting her head to swallow, then licking again. The same happens with water: She will lap up a little bit, lift her head, swallow, then lap up a bit more. He just hunkers down and laps.

Joakim is not territorial as a rule. He will put up with Katniss wandering over to his wet-food bowl sometimes in the middle of dinner, and wanders over to hers at every meal (his vet thinks his early life might have involved starvation - no matter what he eats or how much, he stays skinny, and he was older than she expected based on his size when she met him. I assume he has fears of not getting enough. When he does barge in on Katniss, she will usually just do-si-do around him to his bowl). Jo and Kat will eat kibble out of a No Bowl mouse together as well. But break out the treats, and Joakim immediately growls at Katniss to make sure she comes nowhere near him and his Precious. This happens no matter what kind of treat it is. I did an experiment and put kibble-type treats in a bowl, and it made no difference - treats are somehow different, and they bring out the growling.

Anyone else had this sort of thing go on? It just seems so odd to me. I basically need to keep them apart when I bring out treats, but most of the time Kat ends up not eating them anyway.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How are Katniss's teeth? Sometimes cats with dental issues will be more hesitant to eat. Also, if Joakim is the more dominant cat, Katniss might feel the need to leave some food/treats for Joakim. Hopefully some other posters will have more ideas!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My two eat very differently also. One is a hoover and the other takes what seems to be forever to finish his meals. And one seems to grasp that his jaws hinge for opening and closing and taking bites of things, and actually grabbing food with his teeth, and the other only licks and licks and licks, including trying to lick his treats instead of picking them up with his teeth. If Ive got one in my palm, one will pick it right out of my palm the other will lick at it until it falls off, then lick at it on the counter but never seem to be able to lick it up. Goofball :rolleyes2:

It's also possible that since Joaquin growls when the treats come out, Katniss has been forewarned and doesn't want any of that :lol: Who wants to be attacked by their big brother?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kirochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses! As of their last vet visit, a few months ago, their teeth are fine. And you're very right that Joakim has Katniss nervous when it comes to treats, which makes me definitely want to use Loki's #jerkface hashtag. Anyway, mrsgreenjeens, it sounds like yours are very much like Jo and Kat. Nice to know they're not uniquely weird!