Weirdly specific things you love or hate

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have something very specific and weird that you love or hate?

For me, I wear wrist braces at night because of carpal tunnel syndrome and in the morning I love cracking my wrist joints.

Another thing, I love the moment after you get dizzy from standing up too fast when everything starts to feel normal again.I

One thing I hate is the feeling of wind against my eyelashes. It feels really uncomfortable to me.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I realized once I started working in a pediatric therapy (speech/physical/occupational) field that I have some seriously undiagnosed sensory issues. Some things I have realized I cannot stand the feeling of are:

Shaving cream outside of a shower (shaving cream on dry hands is nauseating)
Slime that the kids made (my husband wouldn't touch it either lol)
Anything tacky that I can't get off my skin. I am very particular about lotions and deodorants for this reason.

For things that I love:
The feeling of freshly trimmed hair. When my husband trims (not completely shaves) his beard, I could spend an unhealthy amount of time petting his face.
Anything soft, like those blankets that have a minkny side and a Sherpa side.
Corrugated cardboard. I like the way it sounds and feels when I run my hand/nails across it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how weird this is but people cracking their knuckles. I wish it did lead to arthritis so people would stop doing it.

Hard boiled eggs and bananas. Just thinking about either of them (especially the smell) is almost enough to make me start gagging. I was in WM last night (unfortunately) and the entire produce area smelled like mashed bananas. I had to get out of there because I did start to gag. :frown:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The faraway buzzing of a plane that is flying above me and the sound of train whistles make me sad.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget cilantro too! The mere thought of it makes me want to :barfgreen:

I love the smell of coffee or freshly baked bread.
Yes. That is some nasty stuff. The worst part about it is that it's almost impossible to pick out of a dish once it's been added and even if you could, that horrible taste lingers.

Yes. Those are two wonderful aromas. So is warm cinnamon. Especially the Vietnamese cinnamon from King Arthur Flour. Sugar cookies made with KAF's Fiori di Sicilia extract smell divine too. It's orange/vanilla. The smell in the house while they are baking is intoxicating.

Fiori di Sicilia - 1 oz.

Vietnamese Cinnamon - 3 oz.

The Vietnamese cinnamon will ruin you for anything sold at the grocery store. It's fantastic.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Dirty hands or the feeling that my hands are dirty. First thing I do when I come in from errands or outdoor tasks is to wash my hands. I especially feel like I need to wash them after eating and I just HATE the smell of food on my hands.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget cilantro too! The mere thought of it makes me want to :barfgreen:

I love the smell of coffee or freshly baked bread.
I am so with you Neely and Kat0121 on the cilantro. Don’t want to smell it and most definitely don’t want to taste it. Disliking the taste or smell of cilantro is actually a biological thing. A percentage of the population (which includes us) have taste receptors that perceive cilantro to have a soap taste/smell.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sand in between my toes it drives me mad. I was so relieved when on holiday I found out my 5 year old granddaughter is the same. And the classic chalk scratching on a blackboard. It goes through me.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
The sound of styrofoams when being rubbed against each other, is not pleasant for me.

I like popping plastic bubble wraps. Makes me feel like a kid again.

I also don’t like the smell of rain when it first hits the pavement. But the sight of it against my window pane is poetically sad yet beautiful.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely cannot stand to have anything between my toes so no flip flops for me. Ever. I also don't like being barefoot at all so when I'm in the house I wear socks. Outside I wear enclosed shoes. At the beach I wear water shoes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I have a lot of sensory issues. The problem is that I can't think of them all off the top of my head, only as they come up, so it's hard to make a list. Plus I live alone so I do everything they way I like and rarely realize that it's unusual.

I can't stand anyone touching the fabric lining of a car, or any other fabric like it. Obviously I can't touch it because of the texture, but even the sound of someone's skin on it gives me the weebies.

Certain textures of food make me gag. Mainly cooked squash (like the stuff that comes frozen) and pudding. I like those foods; I just have to be careful not to let them touch the back of my throat before I swallow.

Some days I can't stand the idea of getting wet. I can wash my face and hands with no trouble, but the thought of getting any water anywhere else on me is just a big nope. So no washing dishes or showering that day (or swimming, in the summer). I can't explain it, it's just a thing.

I HATE the rushing sound of wind and the pressure changes that happen when you open a window while driving. Ugh. In my car I keep the baby lock on so nobody can do it without asking, lol.

I don't like anything between my toes, so no flip-flops, toe rings, or yoga socks for me. I'm not so sensitive that I can't go barefoot though.

I can hear/feel electronics when they're on---fluorescent lights, TVs even if the screen is dark, etc. It doesn't usually bother me, but I'm always aware of them.

I love the smell when it first starts raining. When I was little I thought rain was ocean water (we lived in San Diego and I had seen a waterspout, so I thought rain was whatever the clouds had sucked out of the nearest body of water), so I was surprised when I was somewhere inland and it smelled the same. From what I can find, the smell comes from the rain mixing with the dirt and oil on the roads, but why does it smell like ocean?

I love crunching ice and the texture of popsicles.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot stand the sound and sight of anyone other than myself brushing their teeth.
It is disgusting! What is more disgusting than that to me is when people talk while brushing their teeth hold the toothbrush in their mouths while they do something else. Even the thought of it makes me feel sick.

Bad things:
When certain fabrics touch me, especially my feet.
The sound of cotton balls being rubbed.
Usually, I love the smell of rain, but there are sometimes it smells like I imagine worms smell. I hate it.
The smell or sight of any fruit other than some citrus.
Certain types of animation make me physically ill. The content does not even have to be gross or disturbing. It is just some images are gross.
The way people smell if they have been outside for a while.
Certain music makes me sick, particularly Pink Floyd.
The smell of pork roast.
When fans blow at my head.
When a back car window is rolled down and a front one is not.

Good things:
I love the smell of my husband, even before we dated. It is not his soap or cologne or anything else. It is just how he smells.
Foggy nights.
The smell of cardamom and cloves
The smell of rain or snow on its way
The smell of henna

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the smell of candles after they've been blown out, and the smell of rain on the ground after it's been falling. I also like the smell of my cats as they have a certain warm and fuzzy smell that I can't really describe - when they're clean, that is, lol. I love the smell of coffee too, and my favourite perfume scents are orange blossom, jasmine, gardenia and rose.

I hate the smell of dirty people, too, I've been in public and have come across a lot of people who have, quite frankly, absolutely reeked and I don't know what it is but the problem has gotten worse in my area. I just don't understand why people don't clean themselves if they haven't got a mental health/physical health problem that stops them from doing so on their own.
I also don't like the smell of cigarettes and petrol.

I have DI George Syndrome so I don't like the feel of newspaper, bedsheets or carpets. Which isn't easy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things I love, and some of these are going to probably seem gross to some...sorry.

The feel, smell and energy in the air right before a thunder storm is about to start.
The smell of someone entering indoors, on a cold day, after being on a snowmobile.
Bubble wrap.
The satisfaction of removing a blemish, splinter, ingrown hair... or anything from the skin that should not be there.
If we can be excited about this with our cats - we can be excited about it for ourselves....a good poop.
Jumping in a pile of leaves.
Fresh baked bread - the smell, the taste, the texture all drenched in butter is heaven!
The smell of lilac trees as they bloom.

Things I hate:

Hearing people chew their food. Especially at the movie theater if they are behind me.
The vibration and sound of base without the accompanying music, when someone in another room or outside has their music just to say too loud.
People who chew their gum with their mouth open.
The feel of things on my skin - hair, sand, lint, etc....
The toe seam on socks - I have very sensitive (sensory) skin but especially the feet.
That high pitched hum of electronics, which is why I always have the TV on in the house - even the random background noise of an action movie with explosions and all that is more relaxing than "silence" for me.
Seeing repetitive movements out of my peripheral vision. (someone tapping a finger or foot for example)
And I swear I want to punch someone if they try to get my attention by poking/tapping me with a finger. I immediately get my back up.
If someone tries to touch my face or hair.
"Artificial" wind current. I'm good with a nice breeze outside or from an open window, but I hate fans.

I know I have more love and hate stuff but I think that's enough for today!