Weird swallowing after drinking

Olafismykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the past couple of weeks, my cat swallows excessively after drinking. He is a 2 1/2 year old neutered, FHV positive boy. He eats and drinks the same amounts as before. It's just everytime he drinks he does this tongue smacking thing. It doesn't matter what the water temperature is. He doesn't do it when eating. I'm making an appointment with his vet first thing in the morning but wanted to see if anyone knew what this may be. Other than this he acts completely normal.
I have a video but I am not able to upload it as it's an mp4 and I don't know how to change it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Olafismykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I watched it in your media. It almost looks as though he's tasting it, which is a little odd.

Oh thanks feebysowner for copying it here 👍
That is what I thought as well. It's very weird & worrisome. Thank you for watching.

Olafismykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has three water dishes in different areas of the house. I refill them with fresh water at least twice a day. He does this with all of his water. But he does it most with the one in the tub (which is also his favorite). I'm on well water if that matters. I've tried bottled water but he doesn't like it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
Is he drinking more water than normal? He doesn't look like he feels well. Is he on dry or canned diet?

He is a very handsome cat. I hope you are able to get some answers today at the vet, and that he is feeling better real soon.

Olafismykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He isn't drinking more than usual. Eating and drinking at the same levels. Pooping and peeing the same. He is acting normal other than while at his water. I even tricked him & gave him bottled water (to see if it was my well water) & he still did this. I emailed & texted the vet a close up video. They think it may be a dental issue. He has a first available appointment next Wed. He may end up at an emergency clinic if things get worse. I can't have my baby going through this.
Thank you he is a handsome boy.

Olafismykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update everyone. Olaf will be seeing his vet at 2:30 today. I can't let him wait till next week so I called and asked if they had any cancelations to work him in & they did!