Weird Scabs/Fur Loss On One Ear?

weech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just noticed that one of my cats has a pretty visible level of fur loss on his right ear. He's a one and a half year old Siamese and has had a skin incident in the past on his back legs, but the vet wrote that off as a spider bite. There's been no changes in his behavior, he's eating well and he doesn't react like its painful if I touch it.

I'm wondering if its stress related, since his mama had a similar issue in the months following her first and only litter. He and his brother Timmy just moved with me into a new apartment in the last few months. I dont think its anything super serious but I was curious if anyone had any experience with it?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fur loss is almost always connected to an injury of some sort, whether abscess, scratch, spider bite, or even ringworm. As long as it doesn't seem painful, there are no signs of active infection or some kind of trauma, it should heal on its own. You could apply a little human antibiotic salve, with no pain relievers which are toxic to cats, or get a wound spray for cats from your local farm supply store like Tractor Supply. Apply it by spraying it on a small rag or cotton ball, the spraying sound scares cats. It takes a long time for the hair to grow back. Stress-related baldness usually comes from excessive licking or some kind of rubbing. You might monitor for that, but an ear would be hard for them to reach!