Weird Question, Can Kitty Get Addicted To Pain Killers?

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be calling the vet about this in the morning regardless. My trouble child Spook's bladder became inflamed, preventing him from peeing. We caught it the morning of, and the test results came back clean. He's also peeing since then. But the vet prescribed a couple of medications, one among them being metacam, which I've been very careful to follow directions with. Don't want to induce renal failure after all!

That said, when it wears off come evening (I give it in the morning) he's been getting grumpy. And every night he seems to be getting grumpier and more agitated. And holy does he want it BAD. I had to put it in a cupboard instead of a high shelf, because he knocked the box to the floor and tried to eat it!
This evening has been pretty.....bizzare. He's almost avoiding the litterbox, and he seems to be mood swinging (cycling between listless, angry, okay, then back again). He's stomping and pacing and clearly agitated. He doesn't seem to be in pain as such - I've learned to read his pain cues pretty well I think and this is different. Very different. Freaking out his brother Rogue different because we've never seen him like this before.

So I gave him some treats and nip, but is there anything else at all I can do to help make him comfortable?????? And does anybody have Any experience with this sort of behaviour???? I am pretty hecking bewildered at this point.

Thanks in advance.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds crazy, and something you probably need to talk to your vet about. I very much doubt that he's actively trying to get at the drug.. I'd say that was an co-incidence.
It sounds to me as though it could be that the meds are working and there's something very amiss when they stop doing so. I'm wondering if he's not in the type of discomfort you are used to seeing. I'm hoping the vet can give you some answers, as he sounds very unhappy, poor boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds crazy, and something you probably need to talk to your vet about. I very much doubt that he's actively trying to get at the drug.. I'd say that was an co-incidence.
It sounds to me as though it could be that the meds are working and there's something very amiss when they stop doing so. I'm wondering if he's not in the type of discomfort you are used to seeing. I'm hoping the vet can give you some answers, as he sounds very unhappy, poor boy.
I mean he's definitely in Some form of discomfort, but I'm not sure if it's a pain response per se. When he's in pain his mouth will pull taut, his whiskers will go slick against his face, and his eyes will be narrow. He'll also sorta just huddle up into himself. Right now his eyes are almost constantly bugged out and while his mouth is kinda tight, his whiskers aren't firm against his face. He's been on these meds before (he's a very empathic boy and seems to get an inflamed bladder whenever I'm not doing well so I have him on bladder care food) and hasn't displayed this kind of behaviour. I really hope the vet has answers too. Morning can't come quickly enough!

I think he's starting to calm down a little at least, he's becoming more affectionate as the night wears on at least.... :c

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As Metacam is an anti-inflammatory and not a true "pain med" per se, I wonder if he is reacting to the return of whatever inflammation the Metacam is taking care of in the morning. Is he an older boy? Perhaps he has some underlying mild arthritis or something as well, and the Metacam makes him feel lots better because his joints don't hurt. Then, in the evening, when it wears off, the pains come back and he gets grumpy.