Weird Problem

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not quite sure what is going on. Yesterday, my cat came up to me and the right side of his neck was very wet. I figured that my other cat must have been grooming him. She does that often. This morning, the right side of his neck was soaked again, but this time I know for sure it was not my other cat. Both him and my other cat had been sleeping for hours in separate locations. I can only assume he was drooling a lot in his sleep. I checked his bed, and it was also very wet.

I have not actually seen him drooling, but he must be doing it. I don't see anything inside his mouth. He really isn't acting very differently, and he is eating and drinking normally. His mouth must not be hurting because he gobbled up about a dozen crunchy cat treats this morning like it was nothing. I am still concerned though that there could be something wrong with him, or that he could have gotten into something.

I am very careful about keeping anything toxic out of reach. Yesterday however, I was emptying my trash cans. I was using Great Value Walmart bags that I had not used before, and they seemed to have a strong chemical smell, so I was watching him and kept shooing him away from the bags when he tried to get near. He was determined to smell them. I turned my back for a second though, and he was right by a bag that I had just taken out of the trash can. I don't know if he actually licked the bag or just sniffed it, but he was licking his lips. It was a few minutes later that I noticed the wet neck. I don't know if there is a correlation between the trash bags and the drooling, or he was drooling before and I just didn't notice it. He is licking his lips quite a bit today.

He is an almost two year old cat.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend taking him to the vet for a check up. A bad tooth was my first thought as to a possible cause. Cats are very good at hiding pain, which is why you might not be seeing a difference when he’s eating.

This article has some more info: Cat Drooling — Should You See the Vet? | Catster