?? weird litterbox behaviors..

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had a cat that didn't quite understand to dig in the litter, and instead digs along the walls of the litterbox? is this bad, is this part of being a weird little kitten or? is this perfectly acceptable as he only uses the box? I just don't know if it's simply something to laugh at him about or if it's unnacceptable? it's hilarious to watch him scratch the box at shoulder level...

golden_moon_luv

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten that would play with the poo and run in circles in the little box. Hey at least your kit is useing the box. if he don't cover just teach him to cover. Thats how i got mine to cover. lol. take their paw and cover or just show them that you have to cover.

Ashley

catlover7731

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He uses the litter box but will not covor it up rather dig on the sides of the litter box top and will be in the litter box for a good five minutes digging on the side. My female will go in later on and cover his waste, and I do have 2 litter boxes and he does it with both. Cats go figure~!

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of mine will do this as well, but the males seem to do it more regularly than the females. It is funny because it does nothing to cover the mess:-). In fact, yesterday, Lion did his business in one box, then stepped into the box next to that one and started to try and bury it in the new boxl Go figure.:-). Scratching the edges of the box, though, is murder on the liners.

Kathryn

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my kitten uses the sides of the box as well. i dont care as long as she's using the box.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is my mom's girl Piper - we just assume that she really dosen't like the feel of litter but still just goes through the motions on the sides of the covered box.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten Sui does the same thing!! She also carries her toys to her litterbox and buries them (I guess I know how she feels about them now) hehe

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie digs her litter and nearly digs down to China but she won't cover it up!, and after she's done what she's done she wipes her paws down the wall which i can only think is to get the residue off from the litter off her paws?, then Sophie jumps on after her and covers it up for her

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat that would scratch on the sides and then bring washcloths or small towels into the litterbox in order to cover up her poo. We couldn't leave anything like that out at all! She was a pregnant stray and had two kittens. My uncle saw one of the kittens carrying a washcloth in the direction of the litterbox and said "Let me guess...that's one of Fluffy's kids?"

Not exactly the kind of habit that needs to be passed down!

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My males do this all of the time, it seems like they are in the litter box for hours on end.....they do eventually get it covered but they have to scratch the walls and the side of the litter box too. They are so silly....

Pat

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow doesn't always cover her wastes either. She reaches outside the box and onto the newspaper or carpet and tries to scratch at them that way. Sometimes she steps all the way out of the box and tries to cover the carpet behind her (the wrong direction from the waste). I figure as long as she's healthy and using the box, it doesn't matter.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

We had a cat that would scratch on the sides and then bring washcloths or small towels into the litterbox in order to cover up her poo. We couldn't leave anything like that out at all! She was a pregnant stray and had two kittens. My uncle saw one of the kittens carrying a washcloth in the direction of the litterbox and said "Let me guess...that's one of Fluffy's kids?"

Not exactly the kind of habit that needs to be passed down!

That's so cute!
What tidy kitties you have!

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smokie does this too! I'm glad to know she's not alone! She will hang out in there for a long time after she goes and all I hear is scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape! She's now taken to scraping around her food bowls, like she's scraping up any droppings, even though she's a very neat eater. Yesterday, I caught her scraping the wall over her food bowl. ??? She puzzles me sometimes, but it's cute to watch her do her routines!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 8 cats and they all do that!!
And if there's anything dropped on the floor by the uncovered litterbox, they pull that in instead of the scratching the litter!

jazzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jazzy dig the litter for a minute first before he poop on it. Sometimes he does not cover his poop if he hears noises.