Weird Gargling Noises When Grooming

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's having symptoms of constipation/ UTI? I just went to the vet yesterday because of litter box issues. He's being going to the litter box a lot (without peeing or pooing), but there are episodes where he goes poop/pee. For the most part-- a pee clump is big and round.

We couldn't get a urine sample because he didn't have to pee, and his bladder felt fine.

So I was advised to put 1/8th of a teaspoon of Miralax in wet food. It's not doing anything so maybe I should put 1/4th? I can only assume hes making these weird grooming noises because he's constipated.

I've also noticed this really weird noise when he grooms his penis.

Dropbox - Video Nov 14, 5 38 27 PM.mov

I already have a followup vet on the 29th. It's all they had available. I'm starting to think this is UTI and not constipation. He never grooms his ass and in this clip he's licking his penis.

edit: sent video to my vet, i guess they'll get back to me tonight.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you call the vet and ask about increasing the Miralax because the current dose is not making any difference? And, while you are at it, ask what the next step is if the added dosage (assuming it is approved) does not have any effect.
You indicated that he has peed in the litterbox, but not pooped at all?? Could he be pooping other places? Maybe even peeing somewhere else?

Pee clumps - big and round - sound pretty normal. But, then again you know what is normal for him.

He does seem a little "angry" in the video, but how many times does he get videoed while cleaning? Lol. And, I am assuming that you've observed him enough when he is cleaning that these noises are not normal?

Is he neutered? Regardless, male cats are more prone to urinary tract issues. If it is a UTI, waiting another couple of weeks is not a good idea. It can't hurt to put him on an antibiotic in the meantime - ask the vet about that.

P.S. he is a charming looking cat - even when he is not 'impressed' with the situation!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no he's pooped. i only sound a pee clump yesterday and not today, so maybe he is not peeing :(. I've completely cut him off Blue dry food for the time being (is Blue the causation?) . I made an another appointment for tomorrow morning but they still have yet to call me back. I kept it at 1/8th because I'm starting to think it's not poop.

Yes he is neutered.

For what it's worth he was making annoyed meows prior to me filming him.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: FLUTD (not final, but strongly believed)

I went to the ER and I came back at 5 in the morning. Man I’m so torn and I’m blaming myself a lot. From my previous posts, I’ve stated Roman is my first cat ever.

I’m gonna sleep for like 3 hours then have my cat lady neighbor help me with his meds.

So last night I signed up for Best Pet insurance and I know about their no pre existing conditions. But at the time I was told it was constipation so I signed up anyway. The FLUTD diagnosis isn’t super final but that’s what the vet thinks it really is. The insurance period for sickness doesn’t even start 14 days later. Should I just not bother with this and just put money aside by my own means?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pet insurance can really help. We don't have the wellness part but the 'Oh, no, I can't believe that happened.' We got it for the dog in the beginning right after she tore a ligament and needed knee surgery to be able stand up and walk. That was $3000 in the 90s. We didn't use it for two others, nothing happened that could be cured.

There's a lot more that they can do for cats now and it's all pretty expensive. When I had a diabetic cat, insulin was $25 a 10 ml bottle. Now it costs between $200 and $300. I've seen cost to make per unit prices that are under a dollar. You see pharmacy companies really are focused on the bottom line. Okay, need to stop there.

If you don't keep the insurance, you should keep on top of things like GoodRx Prescription Prices, Coupons & Pharmacy Information - GoodRx They now do many pet medicines.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What happened that you decided to take Roman to the ER? Because of no pee yesterday, and/or advice of your vet's office?

Most of the time if an infection is suspected, antibiotics are started immediately - to get ahead of it becoming any worse. So, I am gathering the meds you referred to above are antibiotics? Is more testing being done the get a 'super final' diagnosis?

Completely stopping a given food (especially if changing to a completely new food) is never a good idea. Better to gradually transition from one to another to help avoid potential digestive tract issues. If Roman consistently eats other foods, as well as the Blue, then stopping just the Blue is probably not a problem.

A degree of constipation could be related to food changes, but I don't believe that applies to a cat getting FLUTD - unless the food change drastically reduced the water content. In that case, perhaps both could be related to the food changes.

I'll defer the insurance questions to other who know more about that - like K Kflowers above.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pet insurance can really help. We don't have the wellness part but the 'Oh, no, I can't believe that happened.' We got it for the dog in the beginning right after she tore a ligament and needed knee surgery to be able stand up and walk. That was $3000 in the 90s. We didn't use it for two others, nothing happened that could be cured.

There's a lot more that they can do for cats now and it's all pretty expensive. When I had a diabetic cat, insulin was $25 a 10 ml bottle. Now it costs between $200 and $300. I've seen cost to make per unit prices that are under a dollar. You see pharmacy companies really are focused on the bottom line. Okay, need to stop there.

If you don't keep the insurance, you should keep on top of things like GoodRx Prescription Prices, Coupons & Pharmacy Information - GoodRx They now do many pet medicines.
---
for the insurance: I'm worried that they will consider this recent "maybe" diagnosis will be denied for any future reoccurances. I don't plan on submitting this incident but any other future flare ups. I'm all for insurance - but I'm scared I was too late.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. What happened that you decided to take Roman to the ER? Because of no pee yesterday, and/or advice of your vet's office?

Most of the time if an infection is suspected, antibiotics are started immediately - to get ahead of it becoming any worse. So, I am gathering the meds you referred to above are antibiotics? Is more testing being done the get a 'super final' diagnosis?

Completely stopping a given food (especially if changing to a completely new food) is never a good idea. Better to gradually transition from one to another to help avoid potential digestive tract issues. If Roman consistently eats other foods, as well as the Blue, then stopping just the Blue is probably not a problem.

A degree of constipation could be related to food changes, but I don't believe that applies to a cat getting FLUTD - unless the food change drastically reduced the water content. In that case, perhaps both could be related to the food changes.

I'll defer the insurance questions to other who know more about that - like K Kflowers above.
---
My vet saw the video and strongly recommended that I take him to the ER. He's producing little urine, but he's going. I get his urine results today. While I was there, he had normal vitals-- no blockage, crystals, or stone.

I was given Gabapentin (liquid) and Prazosin. upon reading about FLUTD, once your cat has it, he has it for life and is different from an infection. I live alone so I need a lot of help adminstering meds in the first place. He was not happy at all. I guess my question is for owners that had a cat with this, are these meds forever? I forgot to ask them that. He was on a Blue/ FF diet. Right now he's not eating. Perhaps I spoiled his appetite with too many treats after giving him meds.

The only problem I have with wet food is how dry it does become when I can't be home all the time (especially mornings) defeating the purpose of wet. I keep my apt at a 75 F. That sounds hot, but I'm cold easily so this is normal for me. What should I do about this? I read more (negative reviews) about Blue and its linked to more UTI and crystals so I'm more than happy to just change to wet only but yeah. It cant possibly be good if it just sits outside for hours.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The insurance company will speak to your vet. When we got the insurance for the dogs, it covered the other two everything. The one with the damaged ligament was covered for everything except tearing those particular ligaments. When she went a year without re-tearing them, the insurance covered those ligaments as well. Unlike human insurance the pet ones are reasonable about the use of modern medicine in "hey, if something is cured and doesn't relapse in a year, maybe you're where you would have been if the accident hadn't happened.'

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you said you've been reading up on FLUTD, but here is another article in case it has any information in it that you haven't already seen.

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/FLUTD.aspx

The urine test results should help to either confirm or rule out some of the causes of FLUTD. FLUTD can be caused by an infection, but there may be an underlying cause to begin with.

The meds he is on are likely for the purpose right now of helping with any pain he may be having related to the FLUTD. Gab is for pain in general, Praz is for urethra spasms (muscle relaxer) which can also be painful. Both have other uses as well. I am not sure, but I don't think either of these particular meds are going to be full time meds for the rest of his life.

Liquid meds are sometimes the best, as they can be administered via little squirts from a syringe against the inside wall of the mouth, while holding the cat like a baby in your arms. Pills can be tricky with some cats, as they will eat around them when put in food. If the pill can be smashed, adding it to some wet food might do the trick.

Please keep an eye on his eating (as well as peeing, of course). It should pick up as he starts to feel a little better, and if it doesn't call the vet to let them know. In the meantime, it's a good sign he is eating the treats.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The insurance company will speak to your vet. When we got the insurance for the dogs, it covered the other two everything. The one with the damaged ligament was covered for everything except tearing those particular ligaments. When she went a year without re-tearing them, the insurance covered those ligaments as well. Unlike human insurance the pet ones are reasonable about the use of modern medicine in "hey, if something is cured and doesn't relapse in a year, maybe you're where you would have been if the accident hadn't happened.'
I wanted to be upfront and honest about my situation. So i told them my situation and anything related to his diagnosis will not be covered in the future. I decided to cancel my policy and just start making my own emergency fund. I had no idea goodx also covered pet meds but that's good news. I know insurance would be good for unrelated issues...this is what I can afford to do and address this problem first.

edit: will reconsider next year though

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you said you've been reading up on FLUTD, but here is another article in case it has any information in it that you haven't already seen.

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/FLUTD.aspx

The urine test results should help to either confirm or rule out some of the causes of FLUTD. FLUTD can be caused by an infection, but there may be an underlying cause to begin with.

The meds he is on are likely for the purpose right now of helping with any pain he may be having related to the FLUTD. Gab is for pain in general, Praz is for urethra spasms (muscle relaxer) which can also be painful. Both have other uses as well. I am not sure, but I don't think either of these particular meds are going to be full time meds for the rest of his life.

Liquid meds are sometimes the best, as they can be administered via little squirts from a syringe against the inside wall of the mouth, while holding the cat like a baby in your arms. Pills can be tricky with some cats, as they will eat around them when put in food. If the pill can be smashed, adding it to some wet food might do the trick.

Please keep an eye on his eating (as well as peeing, of course). It should pick up as he starts to feel a little better, and if it doesn't call the vet to let them know. In the meantime, it's a good sign he is eating the treats.
--
Thank you I will read that article.
Will this severely impact his life expectancy?

meds: I won't put it in his food because I don't want him to stop eating. Docs did say they can order a flavored liquid. I already have this though, so I will probably keep on with this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've not gotten the impression that FLUTD necessarily will shorten a cat's life expectancy. However, again, getting to a more definitive cause of the FLUTD will determine the potential risks associated with it. Most of the time, from the cases I am aware of that are idiopathic FLUTD (no known cause), they could likely occur from time to time and the key to preventing/limiting related damage will be the immediate identification and treatment of any flare up.

Hey, if you have a relatively successful med administration process going with what you have, by all means, stick with it!!!

Oh, btw, about the wet food - I don't know how many meals you are feeding him, but the wet one(s) could be done when you are home. There are many opinions on how long wet food can be left out, but I stick with a no more than 4 hour rule - and even less is better, imo. Others on this site have recommended ice packs underneath the wet food to help keep it cooler. I have never tried that.

If you allow him to free graze, then dry while you are gone during the day would be best. Your vet might also end up suggesting food for urinary health (more moisture), which comes in both canned and dry. More on that if it turns out to be the case...

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i posted this in the nutrition forum

I'm a sucker for gadgets making my life easier lol. I wanna skip out on Blue entirely since all the negative reviews talk about UTI and crystals :/. My catlady neighbor (we are the only ones with cats in the complex) often donates wet no-grain food to me (because her cats tastebuds changes every month). I am ever so grateful.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GoodRx doesn't cover all pet meds but it does cover some. Mapping out the pharmacies in your area is a good idea. Look and see if you have a compounding pharmacy for future use. These pharmacies can, often, take Rxs for pills and turn them into liquids or gels, which maybe easier to use for your particular cat.

Given everything I've said about insurance, pharmacies, pills etc. I've had few cats that got more than one serious illness in their lives. This means don't be afraid, be ready. You are wise to set up a fund. Vet bills are as bad as MD bills.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
13 hours passed. Was able to administer Gabapentin (1 mg) with another person at 10AM EST. I still have to give 1/2 capsule via water mixing + syringe because I was so tired last night.

Maybe it's too soon be freaking out but he's not going near his wet food. I know he loves this. He drank water but hasnt used his litter box since I got home at 5am last night.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just make sure you give him his meds when they are supposed to be administered. They will keep him more comfortable if so. Lapses in them can let the pain and spasms get out of control, and then take longer to get them back under control.

You say he is drinking, but not eating his wet food? Is he eating any dry food? Either way, try enticing him to eat something, even if it is treats.

It's only been 12 hours or so (?) since he came home, so don't freak out too much. But, he needs to start eating some, and using his litter box soon.

When did you say that you will get urine test results? I still am concerned that they did not give him any antibiotics, even if as a precaution.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just make sure you give him his meds when they are supposed to be administered. They will keep him more comfortable if so. Lapses in them can let the pain and spasms get out of control, and then take longer to get them back under control.

You say he is drinking, but not eating his wet food? Is he eating any dry food? Either way, try enticing him to eat something, even if it is treats.

It's only been 12 hours or so (?) since he came home, so don't freak out too much. But, he needs to start eating some, and using his litter box soon.

When did you say that you will get urine test results? I still am concerned that they did not give him any antibiotics, even if as a precaution.
Actually funny story. Being the klutz that I am, I spilled dry food all over the floor trying to put it away from my feeder back into the container. I saw him eat stuff off the floor before I cleaned. I saw your comment and laid out some dry food in the mean time. I kept putting out wet by the hour and he wouldn't go near it. I'm a little confused because this is his favorite food. Perhaps miralax from yesterday really turned him off.

I called just now the doctor who has the results wont be in for another 30 minutes. Yeah they only gave me those two meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Too funny about the dry food! But, at least he's interested in eating. So, feed him dry and keep offering the wet.

Let us know about the test results when you hear.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crystals present :/
Going back to the ER. Is sticking a catheter a repeated occurrence if he has another flare up in the future? I don't qualify for insurance for this, so if he is blocked next time, I'm screwed. I'm getting help paying for this one since I'm on a fixed income.