Weird Circular Scab on Cats Back

Kaytg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I am wondering if anyone has ever seen a scab like this? The hair has fallen out around the scab in a perfect circle and it is starting to come up off the bottom. He got fixed and got his rabies almost two weeks ago and this is in between his shoulder blades. He has no discomfort not itching it or pain when I look at it. He has two other brothers he plays with constantly but just curious if anyone else has seen something like this? He is an indoor cat, he hasn’t been exposed to anything I have not other then going to the vet to get fixed. Thank you in advance for any feedback and information!
891B6076-87A0-46C2-B61A-7454C8E62A8D.jpeg
D0699EB5-6FAA-4224-812D-51FA5B1DBF08.jpeg
30223291-355E-49B8-B87D-9CE4DCC1FB1A.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Huh. That's...not what we usually see. There's no real hair loss, just.. a scab. It COULD be a fairly mild reaction from the vaccination. Tell you what...what I would do is to call his vet on Monday morning (this is not a screaming, five-alarm emergency), and ask if you can send these photos to him in an email rather than bring him in immediately. And let us know what your vet says! We'll fret about this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kaytg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Huh. That's...not what we usually see. There's no real hair loss, just.. a scab. It COULD be a fairly mild reaction from the vaccination. Tell you what...what I would do is to call his vet on Monday morning (this is not a screaming, five-alarm emergency), and ask if you can send these photos to him in an email rather than bring him in immediately. And let us know what your vet says! We'll fret about this.
That’s a good idea! I was just going to bring him in but will see if I can do that first. Will keep this posted updated!

Pipercorra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! Did you ever hear anything about this scab on your kitty? My cat has the exact same thing on her back, she just got fixed under a month ago. Weird!!! I’d love if you’d update me as you find out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kaytg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my vet told me to keep a eye on it. The scab fell off and it looked like a puncture wound. It was where he was given his rabies shot. He was also given topical flea and tick meds for off label use for ear mites and they think that irritated the injection site.

Pippi212

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you ever find out what it was? My cat has the same thing, weird scab with hair loss but no sign of trauma. Scab fell off alomost 2 weeks ago but still looks fresh. I suspect bacterial infection.

Saman humera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I am wondering if anyone has ever seen a scab like this? The hair has fallen out around the scab in a perfect circle and it is starting to come up off the bottom. He got fixed and got his rabies almost two weeks ago and this is in between his shoulder blades. He has no discomfort not itching it or pain when I look at it. He has two other brothers he plays with constantly but just curious if anyone else has seen something like this? He is an indoor cat, he hasn’t been exposed to anything I have not other then going to the vet to get fixed. Thank you in advance for any feedback and information! View attachment 374091View attachment 374092View attachment 374093
Hey did ever find out what it was? My cat has the same thing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP has not been back in about a year and a half, so you will probably not receive an answer.

greekpride

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I am wondering if anyone has ever seen a scab like this? The hair has fallen out around the scab in a perfect circle and it is starting to come up off the bottom. He got fixed and got his rabies almost two weeks ago and this is in between his shoulder blades. He has no discomfort not itching it or pain when I look at it. He has two other brothers he plays with constantly but just curious if anyone else has seen something like this? He is an indoor cat, he hasn’t been exposed to anything I have not other then going to the vet to get fixed. Thank you in advance for any feedback and information! View attachment 374091View attachment 374092View attachment 374093
Hey did you find out what this is? My kitten has it!