Weird Breathing

Zeroandziggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, new to this forum and hoping someone can help me out And give some reassurance.

I've had my cats for almost a year and think they were roughly 4 months old when I adopted them.

Ziggy is the more anxious of the two and has this weird breathing habit whenever he is excited or nervous. It sounds like he is stuffed up and breathing really heavily through his nose but it only happens for a short period when he is excited/scared and he is always sitting down.

It normally happens when there is the promise of food or treats which is why I think it's to do with him being excited!

Is this something to worry about? He doesn't seem to have trouble breathing at other times and hasn't had any health issues in the time I've had him.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
has he been to the vet about this? i know cats can have quite a few things affect the lungs, parasites, asthma, heart problems, sinus obstruction, just a few that come to mind. he may not have any problems, but for piece of mind i would have him checked.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had Ziggy checked out by a vet Zeroandziggy Zeroandziggy ? How are things going with him now?

I've never seen a cat breathing in the way you describe, but it is perfectly normal for young cats to audibly pant during play. I wonder if Ziggy's stuffy-sounding breathing when anxious or excited is related to that in some way. If he has a clean bill of health, that's the most likely reason.