Weird behaviour from a loving beautiful cat !

mimibky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

So I have an amazing cat, her name is Mimi, she is 1.5 years old and is such a friendly cat and always interacts whenever a friend comes over and she really is dependent and loves to show affection, especially to me, shes been with me since she was 3 months old, I adopted her from the local rescue.

She is apparently a mixed breed, Maine Coon & Norwegian Forest.

I have been having a small issue with her, I will tell you the full story;

I had to travel a few months back and I left Mimi at my friends place, she was comfortable there, no abnormalities and my friend really loved her just like anyone who meets her.

My friend loved her so much to an extent where he went and got himself a cat. After he did that I wanted to try to introduce mimi to this kitten (after I got back and she came back home stc..) so I took her with me and she suddenly became so aggressive in the presence of the new kitten, I took her back home and tried another few times, same reaction gets really aggressive to everyone and everything (but me).

So i gave up, I didnt want her to feel uncomfortable anymore.

However, my friend came over one day \without his kitten and she was extremely aggressive towards him only, hissing and getting annoyed whenever he came close to her, her reactions really surprised me I mean it was not even in the presence or the environment she saw the other kitten in, it was towards the owner of the kitten. After he left she suddenly became normal and stuck to me again, just like every time we got back home after the vists. 

Anyways, I just want some advice as to what to do because all this is really weird to me!

Hope i didnt bore anyone! and thanks in advance. 

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are very territorial, annd won't like any new cats in 'their space'. They don't like to be in the other cats' space either. Especially without a proper introduction, this is how cats respond to other cats. Unless you're planning on having these cats living together or spending a lot of time together, you probably should just leave them be. As for your friend coming over; cats have an amazing sense of smell - and they learn just like we do. Meaning they tend to remember negative expierences more so than positive ones. She either thought the kitten was somewhere near since she smelled it, or smelled the kitten and associated it with the negative expierence. Just keep having your friend over, and maybe try letting your friend give her treats. She'll go back to normal around him once she realizes 'that smell' brings treats along with it.