Weird Behavior - Stress Or Health Or Sibling Issues?

thevoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
New here with 13 month old kitties and this is a long one. They are boy and girl littermates and were neutered and spayed at 5 months. We adopted them at 8 weeks and they came home very confident little kitties - walked right in with tails in the air. They started out about the same size, now he's 12 lbs and she's not quite 8 lbs. They used to always sleep together and developed separate movements and habits as they got older. However, the male always took comfort being groomed by her and she seemed to be soothed by being the mommy. He even sucked on her ear and still does occasionally.

For the two weeks, the female has been acting strangely - yeowling at us (she's wandering the house yeowling right now), getting pissed off at her brother when he wants to play, peeing in the dining room, and now obsessed with a toy (the kind with feathers at the end of a wire). She went to the vet and she doesn't have a UTI and they suggested idiopathic cystitis and gave us some brochures. We haven't changed our routine or the house (except tossing the pee'd on rug), they live in a large house with 3 levels, litter boxes on all floors (2 on the main floor), large homemade cat tree, scratchers on all floors, two beds by the fireplace, the house backs to open space with lots of big windows to watch birds from all angles of the couch, the bench, the cat tree, etc., a dwarf bunny housepet (he's not loose all the time) she's trying to befriend (rolling on her back in front of him), we play with them and try to run out their teenage energy, and my husband works from home 3 days a week - kitty paradise, no?

One theory is that she's had it with her brother. We felt she was the dominant one but now he's 50% bigger than her and has a significant advantage now when they wrestle or squishes her when he tries to snuggle. So, we are trying giving her no-brother time and she sits by the basement door wondering why he's down there. She does seem annoyed with him but is that sibling annoyance something to cause the yeowling (might be trying to get us to play with her toy with her), peeing, and toy obsession (haven't described that - obsessed and its a prey toy not a pretend baby). Or is he annoying her because she doesn't feel well?

They are both sweet kitties and are worried about our pretty girl. Any advice?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your girl kitty isn't being her normal self. With inappropriate peeing, a vet visit is the first piece of advice, but since you've done that, and it doesn't seem to be a medical thing, then something behavioral seems likely.

What kind of food does she eat? I've read suggestions that increasing the wet food can sometimes help with pee issues, so it's something to consider if she isn't on an all canned food diet.

Also ensure you are using an enzyme cleaner to clean up the pee, otherwise she might still be able to smell it and continue peeing in the same areas.

Here are links to TCS articles that may have some helpful info for you:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

The Multi-cat Household

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's her diet like? Is she getting too much dry food, not enough canned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hmm, they free-feed on dry and get one packet of wet in the morning and split a packet of wet in the evening.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
is that sibling annoyance something to cause the yeowling (might be trying to get us to play with her toy with her), peeing, and toy obsession
I'm not a vet, but I would say a definite no.

What I would guess is that there's a female stray/feral/neighborhood wanderer that's not spayed and in heat outside.

Have you considered any calming products? treats or a collar, that can be "applied" more directly to her since big bro is not an issue. There are a lot of different ones on the market these days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for all the ideas.

Immediately, I can diffuse lavender in the house while investigating other products.

I don't think there's a kitty in heat wandering around. We have coyotes, hawks, and great horned owls wandering around. There's also bobcats, mountain lions, black bears and golden eagles near by. I appreciate the ideas!!

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for all the ideas.

Immediately, I can diffuse lavender in the house while investigating other products.

I don't think there's a kitty in heat wandering around. We have coyotes, hawks, and great horned owls wandering around. There's also bobcats, mountain lions, black bears and golden eagles near by. I appreciate the ideas!!
I would be careful about diffusers and cats. There are very few scents that can be used safely around cats. So few that I've almost tossed my diffuser. You might want to doublecheck that you haven't been using any scents that cats can't tolerate (most citrus is the one I most remember because I love them).

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it sounds like kitty paradise. I don't think he is bullying her from the sound of it. Especially since she taught him she is Queen from kittenhood.

Hopefully an ultrasound yeilds results. If nothing is wrong physically can you add motion activated sprinklers to your yard. It could be cats or other animals encroaching her territory outside that is making her jittery.Bobcats coming near would do it! Cats smell as well as dogs. I don't think feliway or stress reducers are a bad idea.

Has far as scent goes I'm a meanie who uses airwick in my bedroom but on the lowest setting. It never seemed to bother them since most days my windows are open, some nights to.