Weird Behavior From Guin

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello

I have a few behavior questions re: Guin…

1) A few weeks ago I was given a furry sheepskin rug. As well as Guin sleeping on it he has taken to kneeding it for up to 15 minutes at a time before he settles to sleep. Is this okay? He has never shown this type of behaviour before.

2) On the weekend, I watered some plants in the garden and at the same time the pea shingle gravel got watered too. Guin ended up with his nose headfirst in the pea shingle rubbing against it and licking it… Is this okay too? He has water indoors to drink but I found it weird to watch him sucking the gravel.

Thanks,

Gilly

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While I've never seen a cat sucking gravel before, I do know they tend to love wool. I used to have a woolen jacket and when it got wet my cats would go crazy over it. I think it's the lanolin (oil in wool) that they like. However, I bought a sheepskin rug thinking that they'd love to snuggle up on it, and niether of them will touch it!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might be concerned about what chemicals or oil, etc. could be in the shingle and keep him away from it if you can find something else he likes.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gilly

Hello

I have a few behavior questions re: Guin…

1) A few weeks ago I was given a furry sheepskin rug. As well as Guin sleeping on it he has taken to kneeding it for up to 15 minutes at a time before he settles to sleep. Is this okay? He has never shown this type of behaviour before.
My Ginger does this as well on the sheepskin that I have for the kits on the back of my couch. It is comforting to her, and she purrs like crazy when she's kneading it. I think it may remind her of her momcat in some way.