Weird Ant Situation

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lived in this apartment for over three years, and I'm only now getting ants. It's weird, though-they're big black ants, and they only appear one at a time. I'll kill one, and another will appear a day or two later.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big black ants are most likely carpenter ants. Call your landlord ASAP.
I just went thru this at my house, they need to be taken care of as they can cause significant damage to the home. Carpenter ants also tend to prefer damp/wet wood to tunnel thru so your landlord should also investigate where this water might be coming from if they are nesting somewhere in the walls.
Have you seen any little piles of what looks like sawdust around? Here are some examples...
1624976413505.png
1624976434276.png
1624976486943.png

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lived in this apartment for over three years, and I'm only now getting ants. It's weird, though-they're big black ants, and they only appear one at a time. I'll kill one, and another will appear a day or two later.
they are scouts looking for resources (food,water etc.) try to track one back to how its gaining access to your home(an electrical outlet,crack in the floor trim boards,window etc.) i live in apartments also and they get inside from the wall furnace. they could also already have a large colony living inside the walls of your apartment building(nest could be far away) if possible catch one and ask management to send the pest control guy by your apartment to id. the ant(they will offer/suggest baits etc.). ask the pest guy to search around the perimeter of your apartment if your on ground floor like me and spray outside and ask management to trim back any trees shrubs etc. away from the walls(ants use them to gain access inside).most you can really do is preventive measures to keep them from coming in thats what learned from the pest guy. i didnt want anything toxic around graycie or my tarantulas. you gotta really find where the ants are getting in from and plug that accesss point up to keep em out and have them go invade the other tenants home instead of yours

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just talked with the building manager about it. He says that a bug guy is coming in two weeks to spray, so it'll hopefully be dealt with then.

Tracking them back might be difficult. If I haven't killed them, the cats have.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just talked with the building manager about it. He says that a bug guy is coming in two weeks to spray, so it'll hopefully be dealt with then.
I'm not sure what kind of spray they will be using but, find out when they will be coming and make sure your windows and any air intakes are closed while they spray...just to be on the safe side. I know we had to keep ours closed for the time the guy sprayed our house and kept them closed for about an hour after...

Well that's good...but being that you're in an apartment the nest could be further away. I found I few piles in my basement and outside...not fun!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Tracking them back might be difficult. If I haven't killed them, the cats have.
[/QUOTE we have a pest guy spraying weekly spraying around out side to. didnt do much against the ants that were already inside the walls crawling out from the furnace i ended up using food grade de powder to blast inside my furnace and havent seen them since