Weight Reduction Feeding Guide Help!!

Northernangelnimya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

So I just got back from the vet with my cat Oreo and we need to feed her Hills Science Diet r/d weight reduction food. It says we need to feed her 3/4 (65g) of dry food and 1 2/3 cans of 5.5 moist food daily. But when o look on the site it says to reduce the amount to avoid over feeding. So my question is how much should I be feeding her of each to get her down to 12lb because the instructions are confusing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What has she been eating until now? How old is she?

For weight reduction in cats I like to put them on a low carb, wet food only diet. But depending on what your cat has been eating, you don't want to change their food too rapidly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Northernangelnimya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been eating c/d urinary care food by hills Science Diet. My vet said to just put half and half out for her for a while which is what I put out for now. She’s 6yrs old

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

So I just got back from the vet with my cat Oreo and we need to feed her Hills Science Diet r/d weight reduction food. It says we need to feed her 3/4 (65g) of dry food and 1 2/3 cans of 5.5 moist food daily. But when o look on the site it says to reduce the amount to avoid over feeding. So my question is how much should I be feeding her of each to get her down to 12lb because the instructions are confusing.

Thanks
Good luck with the r/d food.Snowball didn't like it.So hes on w/d.For weight management n easy digestion.And its working.As far as reduction of his weight n easy digestion.The vet is going for 12 lbs for Snowball.He did weigh 15.5.Too much.Hes down to 15.0 now.He gets 1/4 cup in morning along with his fancy feast classic chicken broth.And in evening he gets 3/8 cup _1/2 cup n no chicken broth.But thats with w/d dry food.And the chicken broth in mornings .And just w/d dry food in evening.And the broth is like 19 calories a pk.And pk is only 1.4oz.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Thanks
I would contact the vet.And see what they say.Sometimes its easy to do that than go by pkge.I KNOW.It can be confusing.It was for me at first.Those directions on pkge.So I called my vet n was all explained.All good now.Me n snowball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Northernangelnimya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you lutece and catlover49. I will double check with the vet for feeding instructions. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't need prescription food for weight loss. The key to weight loss is to feed the appropriate amount of calories daily and provide exercise. It's generally recommended to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. Any commercial cat food works. Canned is preferred over dry food because it is lower in calories and therefore easier to count how many calories the cat is getting. It's ok to disagree with the vet about food :agree:

There are tips on how to help a cat lose weight here: Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats