Weight Managment

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a tabby/Siamese mix that I believe is becoming overweight. I feed her a small amount of wet food daily (one 5.5oz can split into two separate feedings) and dry food down while I am at work. Does that sound like to much? I know that to get her to lose weight I need to feed her less, but I want to be sure she really is overweight first. Her sister is not overweight at all.

Attachments

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These two photos give me very different impressions: she might look a little bit chunky in the first but in the second she looks like she might be thin! What is your cat's name, by the way? If you can take a photo of her from above, like in the chart I'm going to add in, that might be more helpful. Also, how old is your cat? She looks small and young to me, almost like a kitten. (We also have a lynx mix and she looks you, too, so maybe there's something about lynxes!)

Given that you're concerned about weight and that keeping a cat from getting overweight is easier than coaxing them to lose weight, for starters on feeding, I'd suggest phasing out the free-fed dry food during the day and feeding only meals so there's more portion control. (It works for cats as well as people!) Our vet recommends feeding only low-carb, high-protein wet food, in meals, for weight issues. (She also particularly recommends only low-carb wet food for Siamese and mixes because they can have weird digestive systems but that's another topic entirely!)

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of food is it? Sometimes carb heavy foods can cause weight gain. Additionally, depending on how many calories are in the portions you are offering, it may be too much. 5.5 oz a day was all my 10 lb tabby needed each day as that was about 180 calories and good for her activity level.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These two photos give me very different impressions: she might look a little bit chunky in the first but in the second she looks like she might be thin! What is your cat's name, by the way? If you can take a photo of her from above, like in the chart I'm going to add in, that might be more helpful. Also, how old is your cat? She looks small and young to me, almost like a kitten. (We also have a lynx mix and she looks you, too, so maybe there's something about lynxes!)

Given that you're concerned about weight and that keeping a cat from getting overweight is easier than coaxing them to lose weight, for starters on feeding, I'd suggest phasing out the free-fed dry food during the day and feeding only meals so there's more portion control. (It works for cats as well as people!) Our vet recommends feeding only low-carb, high-protein wet food, in meals, for weight issues. (She also particularly recommends only low-carb wet food for Siamese and mixes because they can have weird digestive systems but that's another topic entirely!)

The 2ND picture is her litter mate.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is a little on the chubby side, while her litter mate is probably a little on the thin side. Amazing how different siblings can be. General rule of thumb for most cats is 15-20 calories per pound if inactive and 30+ per pound if highly active. Most indoor cats will fall in the 20-25 calorie range but it can vary.

To see if your feeding her too much, review the calories in the wet food and dry food. Divide the amount she eats by 20 and then by 25 to see what weight you are feeding for. If either of those calculations give you less than her weight then try 30 calories. I know a lot of people have a big eye opener that they are accidentally feeding their cat enough for several pounds heavier then they are. You can start reducing calories, very slowly, to help her get her weight down. Monitor her weight as she loses and when she reaches a healthy weight try different calories until you get a good level point. Once you know the right calories you can change foods and just feed the correct amount of calories.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is a little on the chubby side, while her litter mate is probably a little on the thin side. Amazing how different siblings can be. General rule of thumb for most cats is 15-20 calories per pound if inactive and 30+ per pound if highly active. Most indoor cats will fall in the 20-25 calorie range but it can vary.

To see if your feeding her too much, review the calories in the wet food and dry food. Divide the amount she eats by 20 and then by 25 to see what weight you are feeding for. If either of those calculations give you less than her weight then try 30 calories. I know a lot of people have a big eye opener that they are accidentally feeding their cat enough for several pounds heavier then they are. You can start reducing calories, very slowly, to help her get her weight down. Monitor her weight as she loses and when she reaches a healthy weight try different calories until you get a good level point. Once you know the right calories you can change foods and just feed the correct amount of calories.
Yeah. Lightning more resembles a tabby, and Fang her sister more resembles a Siamese. Lightning is a large cat, while her sister is very small. They are so very different, only similarities are that they are both white and grey. Lol.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

she is about 1 yr. So yeah she is still a young baby.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your two cats remind me of ours: one's a lynx mix, the other's a snowshoe. The lynx is slender and sleek, the snowshoe would eat both their meals if allowed. (We have to feed them separately!) They're also littermates but don't really look like it.

If the cats are still only a year old, hmm, they could still be growing and are probably still pretty active. (Our cats ate a ton -- like kittens -- until they were two or three!) And some cats (like Edwina, our snowshoe) are naturally fluffy, making them look bulkier. Even when she looks a bit chunky to me, she always gets good reviews from the vet, who's big on watching cats' weight.

If you have more pictures of Lightning, please post them!

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your two cats remind me of ours: one's a lynx mix, the other's a snowshoe. The lynx is slender and sleek, the snowshoe would eat both their meals if allowed. (We have to feed them separately!) They're also littermates but don't really look like it.

If the cats are still only a year old, hmm, they could still be growing and are probably still pretty active. (Our cats ate a ton -- like kittens -- until they were two or three!) And some cats (like Edwina, our snowshoe) are naturally fluffy, making them look bulkier. Even when she looks a bit chunky to me, she always gets good reviews from the vet, who's big on watching cats' weight.

If you have more pictures of Lightning, please post them!
So I may be worrying prematurely? They are both super active. They chase each other through the house like bullets. Lol. They love wrestling with each other. Her sister has suddenly lost interest in the canned food. That worried me a bit to, but she does still eat the dry food. So she does eat. I just know that being overweight is very bad for them, so I want to be a good cat momma and stay on top of it. :)

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She doesn't scream fat to me but it's better to use the chart posted previously to look at the shape from a top-down perspective. Since she's so young still I wouldn't worry terribly. Are you worried because she looks chubby or are you seeing a belly flap?

I like this page for showing the difference between fit and fat and explaining the primordial pouch:
Primordial Pouch (Cat Belly Flap) - What is it? - Cat World

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't scream fat to me but it's better to use the chart posted previously to look at the shape from a top-down perspective. Since she's so young still I wouldn't worry terribly. Are you worried because she looks chubby or are you seeing a belly flap?

I like this page for showing the difference between fit and fat and explaining the primordial pouch:
Primordial Pouch (Cat Belly Flap) - What is it? - Cat World
It's mostly because she looks chubby. When she sits down she actually looks round. Lol. When she lays in my arm I can see her belly and it looks pudgy. I'm pretty sure I'm over feeding her. I had no idea how many calories were in the canned food I was giving her. (1100 cals per can. I was giving her half a can a day) so already more than she should be getting. And then I was leaving dry food down while I worked. Going to stop all that and start doing one feeding in the morning when I get home instead.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be surreptitiously snacking on her sibling's portion of daily dry food?

Both cats look ok to me, since they are still young. I started easing back on my kitten's daily calories once she reached about 16-18 months.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like her food is a little much. For a growing kitten it would be good but at a year it's probably time to cut back just a little. If she acts super hungry I'd give her a little more right now, until she's 18 months she might still have a little growing after all.

Do make sure you are looking at her belly and not primordial pouch. Two of mine have a pouch and one my vet wanted me to feed more because she was too skinny. That one also gets poofy in the winter but becomes a stick figure in the summer. Biggest thing is finding out what is healthy for your cat and keeping the calories at a level to maintain that.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's mostly because she looks chubby. When she sits down she actually looks round. Lol. When she lays in my arm I can see her belly and it looks pudgy. I'm pretty sure I'm over feeding her. I had no idea how many calories were in the canned food I was giving her. (1100 cals per can. I was giving her half a can a day) so already more than she should be getting. And then I was leaving dry food down while I worked. Going to stop all that and start doing one feeding in the morning when I get home instead.
The can is probably 110 or 100 calories per can, right? (That extra zero would really be putting the weight on those kitties!) Lightning looks pretty good (not to mention really cute!) to me -- sturdy but not overweight -- but, yes, best to cut back a little (not drastically) if she seems to be starting to gain too much that's extra, not growing. (If that makes sense!)

What Kieka Kieka says about finding what's right for your cats is so correct: our cats' appetites seem to vary a lot depending on everything from the weather to which particular canned food they get since the calories can be so different.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is what the can says. I may be misreading it but I don't think so.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is a better pic. They are all different calories but they all say over 1000 per can. I only give them half of it a day, but still.