Weight Loss

kmkaeberlein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My cat is a big boy. I am pretty sure he is part Maine Coon (his adoption records say american longhair), but he is .20 away from being 20LBS! My vet and I both want him to lose some weight, at least down to 15 where he used to be. But he is constantly hungry. And if he doesn't have 'free food', he turns into a jerk and attacks us/our kids and he's a cranky old fart. What can I do/feed him to help him lose weight but also not be a butthead and attack or try to eat my other kitten's and my dogs food? He gets so desperate he tries to eat the broom bristles! He was on Taste of the Wild PREY

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is that wet or dry food he was on?

Wet food is better for weight loss... higher moisture content and protein means it keeps the kitty full for longer!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
If you feed all three animals wet food, your fat cat (what is his name?) can't steal anything and you will always know what he eats. Wet food is healthier for animals that bark or meow anyway. If you must feed dry food to your pets get one that is freeze-dried raw with low carbohydrates instead of regular kibbles.

Are you measuring his food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmkaeberlein

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was on dry but am switching to wet. I have done mixed in the past as well as some freeze dried. He still always acts hungry. His vet says he doesn't need much protein (um yeah ok everyone needs protein). His name is Rio btw. We like to call him fatty though lol
We do measure, at least when I feed him I do but sometimes my husband just fills the bowl to the top. Is there a better brand of wet than another?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food will definitely help him lose weight. Right now I'm feeding half a cup of canned food per day for each cat, that's 1/4 cup in the morning, 1/4 cup at night. Then they also each get 3/8 cup dry food, which is my 1/8 cup measuring cup 3 times. I like to measure everything. :D They weigh 10 and 12 pounds.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a better brand of wet than another?
Absolutely! Nature's Variety Instinct is mostly protein and good for cats who have digestive issues such as IBD, which means a healthy cat would be great on it. For healthy weight loss, unless Rio only likes pate, Weruva is a good option.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, good for you for helping fatty - whoops I mean Rio - lose weight! Wet food is a great start, and it’s better to figure out the right number of calories (usually 20 kcal/lb) and reduce it by
10 or 15%.

His vet says he doesn't need much protein (um yeah ok everyone needs protein).
The best thing you can do is feed him more protein, actually. It will keep him fuller (and hopefully less hangry). The best diet for a cat is high protein, Med fat and low carb. The protein should come from meat, not corn, soy, potatoes or peas. This will help him lose the weight since his body knows best what to do to turn meat based protein into energy. Carbs are the weight loss killers.

I know Dr Elsey’s kibble is the lowest carb around, although it is pricey. Leaving some of that out will be better than leaving out a higher carb option. Catfooddb.com is a good tool to check these values, although they guess on carbs so it’s better to ask the company for the protein/fat/carb content. Unfortunately they do not list the Taste of the Wild kibble you feed. Also go by total kcal and not serving recommendations - companies always overestimate.

For wet food Tiki Cat After Dark line is great, Rawz, Life’s Abundance, Dave’s Pet Food, Hound and Gatos, Dr Elsey’s Canned, Lotus and Go! Petcurrean Fit and Free are ones I feed. Just try and check the foods you look at for lower carb options. In the end it’s what he will eat, so he may dictate that.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KarenKat KarenKat has some good sugestions. I use Dr. Elseys kibble, its low carb, but high calorie, so you dont want to give an overweight cat a lot of it, measured feedings would be best.

For wet i feed a lot of Tiki cat, Almo nature complete, fussie cat, and weruva paw lickin chicken. These are all fairly low calorie, low carb, and lower in fats. Very high protein, so cats can eat a lot of it.

Another food that was in a different post is Royal canin, i dont know some say not the best ingredients, but it looks like a lot of research behind the food. I dont worry about grain free, some do. If you do then Royal canin would not be for you. They have several weight reducing wet and dry foods. My guys, i dont want to gain weight, and they really like the royal canin ultra light slices in gravy. Most royal canin wet foods have carageenan, it bothers some people, like me, others dont think its a problem. I do have some in my rotation and the cats all like it a lot. Might be another option for you? I do think most all wet, with just a spoon full or two of dry for crunch is best.

Ultra Light Thin Slices in Gravy canned cat food | Royal Canin Feline Care Nutrition