Weight Loss - Cancer? IBD? Euthanasia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he does only have IBD we put him through a very traumatic experience for no reason,
possibly so, but he needs you to hang in there and be strong for him. Cats are sponges for our emotions and he is picking up on your upset and anger.

Try something to get your mind off this so you can move forward for him - physical exercise, meditation, deep breathing, music,...---oh by the way, regarding stress, try some cat music for him.

There's spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicFor Cats. Additionally there are licki mats that might be of help to him :)
The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DesperateMistrustful

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're absolutely right and I try so hard to only exude love and calm near him. I've been gardening and trying to get my mind off of all of this but it's just impossible, I'm completely absorbed. I live and breath cat drama and I'm so tired. I won't be able to think of anything else for more than two minutes until I see a few days of change and improvement, that will help renew me for the inevitable bad days.

I've tried some of that cat relaxation music in the past and it only annoyed him, haha. He's sleeping very comfortably next to the window right now and continues to purr from attention and cuddle at night (when he's not feeling sick). I talk to him all the time and tell him how brave he is and how much I love him. We had a whole conversation about eating yesterday. I told him he has to eat by 10PM or I'd have to give him a pill, he literally nodded. I said okay, you have four hours. He meowed, got up and went straight to the kitchen. He had ONE bite and walked away--I was like that doesn't count, you smart ass!! :lol:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if cerenia can be compounded into a transdermal gel?

IBD is hard, it took a long time for us to find a food + meds combo that worked for my IBD kitty. Good luck!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if cerenia is one of the medications your cat is on but if you are not squeamish around needles you can get it in an injection form.

The cerenia pills are quite bitter apparently so the injection may be easier to use.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...Cernia for cats is given subQ, under the skin, which is DEAD EASY! You can learn to do this at home after seeing it ONCE at the vet's office, and it isn't any more painful for the cat than a flea bite, so there's an option for you. It's a matter of "tenting" the skin on the neck, and injecting into that tent. I learned to do it years ago when I worked at a pet shop.

I just found this on YouTube. GOODNESS, is there NOTHING they don't cover?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the way, Spotify has a collection of 10 harp pieces called Cat in My Arms that you could try - he might like that better :)

DesperateMistrustful

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already asked the vet for cerenia injections a week ago when they suggested monthly B12/fluids, they said I would have to bring him in and have them do it. I have to assume that's so they can charge me an extra $69 because I'm perfectly capable of giving shots. Traumatizing him with another car ride is worse than a nasty pill. The greed of these people knows no bounds. I'll reach out to other vets and see if they'll sell to me if SEB doesn't do the trick. I cannot wait to find a vet worth a damn but I fear by the time this pandemic is over I won't have any cats left.

New dry food brands arrived today. I ordered them for my late girl who needed to lose weight so that was fun and not at all heartbreaking. I opened the higher calorie bag and he ate a little but he hasn't eaten much at all today. The diarrhea continues but no vomiting. Curious to see if he vomits tonight without cerenia since I'll be giving him his late snack again. Only one pill left but SEB arrives on Sunday. I'll try that music suggestion when he wakes up. Thank you all.

[edit] As soon as I sent this post he threw up all his new food. Guess he'll never eat that again, cool. Gave him some cerenia but most of the pill somehow stayed in the syringe despite shaking it up. Sigh.

Last edited:

DesperateMistrustful

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night he vomited and had diarrhea three times, they seem to come together. He gave me the look. You all know the look. Usually I don't let my babies suffer long enough to give me the look. I cried and cried. It now feels selfish to hold on to hope that IBD treatment might work. I don't want to give up yet--half of the meds should arrive tomorrow--but this is the first time I've felt like I'm doing it for me and not him. How long do I give the medicine a chance to do something? How long do I put him through this? I'm not hospitalizing him again.

I called the last vet back and asked why they can't sell me the subcutaneous B12/fluids/cerenia. They said they can sell me the fluid but nothing else because "the bottle is big." You can't syringe it out? REALLY? ARE YOU SURE? "Yes."

I reached out to one of the mobile vets I contacted weeks ago who said she can't do anything due to VCPR. I linked how they've suspended VCPR enforcement and I'm hoping she gets back to me today. I will drive hours to pick this stuff up just so I don't have to take him anywhere.

I did manage to get most of the remaining cerenia into him last night but it's no good. He hasn't really eaten for 18 hours. He took a couple bites of the dry food an hour ago but I worry he's just going to throw it up.

DesperateMistrustful

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for double posting, I can't edit. All the stuff I ordered arrived early today. I was very excited at first thinking maybe I wouldn't need cerenia. He won't even taste the new brand of freeze dried treats, he won't eat anything healthy for him. I made the SEB syrup but there's no way to get him to take it without syringing it. It's supposed to be 3-5ML four times a day (before meals), I only have 1ML syringes. He only received .4 ML because of what a struggle it is. It's breaking my heart giving him medicine this way, he's so sick of it. I tasted the SEB and it's not even gross but he still drools in disgust and spits it out. When I stopped he just laid down in my lap instead of running away. He's strong but so tired. He's only 8.5lbs. I don't want to take him anywhere but I feel like he really needs those shots, I don't know what to do anymore. I don't know what's best for him.

Since he wasn't eating wet food I had to also give him the probiotic/yeast via syringe. He ate a few bites an hour later. The surgeon said the bypass can make food go right through him so he may have diarrhea but with bowel movements only occurring late at night accompanied by vomiting, that's not the cause.

DesperateMistrustful

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After many song attempts, both of my boys instantly reacted to this one by getting very drowsy and comfortable:
I was talking out loud about possibly taking him to the vet for shots. When the conversation ended I looked over at him and his eyes were wide and scared, his tail thrashing about (he speaks lots of English). I can't take him. I won't. It would take these incompetent jerks two hours or more. I emailed the other two mobile vets and BEGGED them to sell me subcutaneous cerenia/B12, I said they could talk to one of these many vets if it makes them more comfortable.

He just vomited and had diarrhea again, everything he ate today all gone. I've been keeping track of times trying to link it to the food but today it happened 6 hours after eating dry food instead of only 3. There were only about 6 kibbles. I took all the dry away again just in case but I really don't think that it's that. I think he's just dying. Maybe I'm telling myself that so I will feel better about inevitably putting him down.

I've lost two cats in two months and now I'm going to lose a third, we lost our jobs, I had to go to the ER with COVID-19 symptoms, we're running out of money, the planet's dying and nothing matters. I wish someone would put me down.

DesperateMistrustful

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate that but after going through this three times in such a short period all I can do is keep going forward or blow my brains out and I have only the intention of doing the former (as long as my last cat survives and continues to need me hahaha).

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you ask your vet for transdermal mirtazepine?
Mirataz
Apply a bit to his ear and he may perk up and eat.
Its an appetite stimulant

DesperateMistrustful

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes but it's cruel to give an appetite stimulant without an anti-nausea medication. He's not eating due to nausea.

DesperateMistrustful

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I DON'T UNDERSTAND. These people are forcing me to further traumatize or put down my cat.

I received a response from one of the mobile vets who clearly didn't read my email and told me she can't help me but to ask all of the vets who have seen him for pre-filled syringes. The fact I had is already right there in my very short message.

I was told by the hospital receptionist that it's illegal to send home shots, they can't expect it to be dispensed properly because I'm not a trained professional. I stressed to her how desperate and horrible this entire situation is, that I'm willing to sign some waiver or whatever they're concerned about, that I can watch a vet do it. She said it's federally illegal but good luck getting her to name the law (this is such a classic tactic by front desk workers). I asked why I'd heard of it being done, she said if someone is doing it they shouldn't be. I just ended it there. I guess diabetic cats don't exist. I could out logic anything she has to say but it doesn't matter, she's the gatekeeper.

I called the other vet AGAIN, hoping this receptionist would take it higher. She clearly had no idea what to do with me and put me on hold a long time, then said she would have to talk to her office manager who isn't there today. She asked what was the reason I was given, I repeated that "the bottle is too big." She said well the bottles are amber, they can't put the medicine in syringes because it could destroy the integrity of the medication, "do you understand?" I said yes I completely understand, why can't I keep them in a dark closet? She got snippy with me at that point so it was over.

INJECTION B12 IS LITERALLY ON THEIR ****ING PHARMACY WEBSITE!!! The atopica I ordered still isn't here so ordering that would be a complete waste. If nothing else I just want cerenia so he's comfortable. I just want him to be comfortable. Oh my ****ing god. Why won't any of these people help me? If I were reading my own words coming from someone else I would think surely that person was super rude, no one wants to help this rude angry lady. I swear I'm being completely calm and polite, the only other thing in my voice is desperation. My poor boy. I would drive all day to get these shots. I DON'T GET IT.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...this is dire times. Take a look a Chewy's pharmacy list. IF the meds your are needing are there, CALL THE OFFICE AGAIN. Inform them that you can, in fact, quite legally, order them from Chewy, with a prescription, and demand to know why they will not give you one. Backed against the wall, they may actually comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.