Weight Gain Supplement Post-Dental Surgery?

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 13 year-old male cat had to have extensive tooth extractions due to chronic gingivitis. Surgery was 10 days ago, and he's had a re-check, so he is healing properly.

We've been trying to treat this over the last year and did the extractions when other treatment options didn't work. In the process, he has lost weight, and I was wondering what nutritional gels or similar products the forum members here like to help cats regain lost weight. He is gradually eating more and more, but he's just holding steady on weight. I'd like to give him a calorie boost to help him get more of his strength back.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you change or part his food for a high protein cat food or have a word with your vet to see if they have a food for convalescing cats. If he hasn't lost too much weight I would let him put it on gradually by maybe feeding just a little more each day.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten food! Wet kitten food, not kibble. Kittens grow so fast that they need a lot of calories, and their food reflects that. You can also try giving him a bit of KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer); no chewing necessary and he's likely to think of it as comfort food.

There are also several high calorie gels available; as far as I can tell they're all about even nutritionally so it's just a matter of trying them — your cat will tell you when you find one that he thinks tastes good.

Margret