Weight gain , adult cat Bro..and types of cat food?

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Bro who went through trauma in october lost his brother to euthanization from dog mauling in the yard..bro had to have a steriod shot because when he would not stop crying day and night loudly we took him to the vet the vet found

he has arthritis all down the back..on the xray...He also has emotional trauma..

My question is Bro has gained alot of weight since he had that shot...

and of course he does not go outside all day as he used to ...he was not

real active the last few years so do you think the steriod shot..just one could have

caused fluid retention in Bro..he is not over eating since the shot..in November..

I have a new kitten rescued..Lily and she is 8 months old now.

So I feed her Fancy Feast canned kitten chicken flavored food once a day

and dry grain free the other  2 times a day.

Bro eats twice a day and not that much ....

I had bought Wilderness Evolutionary diet....adult  indoor cat dry food. Chicken flavored..grain free.....

A store employee said an older cat does not need this food and high

protein...I was under the assumption that high protein a cat would not

gain a lot of weight..due to this food..

We want to feed one good dry food to both Lily who is 8 months old and Bro who is 9 years old inside..cats..now...

Is the wilderness inside ...

chicken flavored...dry food

okay since neither will be outside and they are not getting grass

and or any exercise..

Lily is very energetic..and I have to play with her an hour a day to control

her destructiveness...at 8  months old...She is naughty..

I need one dry food that will be good for both of them..as that is all we can afford..buying canned and also dry for each day..

Hope this makes sense...appreciate all answers...

Sheri, Lily and Bro

USA

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you measure his food out, it should be fine. Higher protein means lower carbs. . .and carbs are what make cats fat. Older cats tend to do better with more canned food than dry, to keep them nice and hydrated.

Steroids are known to cause weight gain :/. Unfortunately, sometimes steroids are necessary for certain health problems, can't be avoided. But if there's an equally effective alternative treatment, it's better to avoid systemic steroids when possible (inhaled steroids have a lot fewer side effects).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dear Willowy....

Thank you for replying for Bro and Lily.

I felt that the steriod shot had something to do with it

even though he is not eating a lot..

I know I do better on protein and I keep my own weight down

eating less carbs..I gain fast on bread, pasta, potatoes

and surely on sugar ..sweets..having some diabetes in the family and me having high cholesterol I am trying to improve by eating correctly and avoiding the cost and side effects of statins and also advancing to diabetes..I am pre diabetic..

Thank you..if anyone else uses the wilderness mentioned let me know your thoughts on it...for a 8 month old and a 9 year old cat...

Sheri USA

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Higher protein is not bad unless the cat has a health condition that can be made worse by higher protein. I won't give Sara, who is almost 14, higher protein because she's got CKD, has never really had super-high protein foods (nothing above 50%). With CKD, it's mainly the phosphorus that is bad, except in later stages (then lower protein is called for), but don't really want to rock the boat. Now Maple, who is also almost 14, is getting high protein food because she's on a diet to lose some of her 17 lbs.

Btw, is that Bro in your avatar? Whoever it is is absolutely adorable.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you..this is Lily  8 months old..on my avatar...

rescue adopted by us at a shelter in november 2015

Bro has no health issues other than now overweight since the l steriod shot and being inside now 24 hours except he goes out twice a day for a few minutes..

in the large yard.. He does have a lot of arthritis the vet said showed up on the xray in november..and he is 9 years old.

It seems that it will be okay to keep the wilderness high protein indoor food dry for him from what you say...

to get the weight off some..

.and Lily likes the energy she is 8 months old and full of running in the house

up the curtains and all over the place..she is too full of energy!

If Bro does have a health issue in the future I will come on and ask again..concerning the high protein dry food with low carbs.

This is Bro...to the right...

Oh that is lily my new cat we adopted from a rescue animal shelter in November.......on the avatar..

after I had to put Peebo the one attacked by dogs down..in october.

Lily is so unusual in her markings on the face and body..

Thank you for the compliment..

She is beautiful to me..and I will enjoy photographing her when she gets still enough

here are 2 more pictures of her...

Thanks

Sheri, Bro and Lily