weight fluctuation in young kittens/feeding questions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you let mom move her babies? It’s an instinct in cats to move them periodically in the wild to avoid predators, but domesticated cats like to move their kittens near their favorite human once their eyes are open and they become mobile. It’s for socialization.

As long as the kitten is eating and not losing, she’ll likely be okay. The cold and the meds are probably affecting her appetite for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you let mom move her babies? It’s an instinct in cats to move them periodically in the wild to avoid predators, but domesticated cats like to move their kittens near their favorite human once their eyes are open and they become mobile. It’s for socialization.

As long as the kitten is eating and not losing, she’ll likely be okay. The cold and the meds are probably affecting her appetite for now.
The problem is she is moving them in the bedroom right next to my 90lb dog bed. He's a sweetheart and loves the cat but if he rolls or steps on them they are done. I'm trying to see if she could move them to a closet maybe, the dog can't access that.

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem is she is moving them in the bedroom right next to my 90lb dog bed. He's a sweetheart and loves the cat but if he rolls or steps on them they are done. I'm trying to see if she could move them to a closet maybe, the dog can't access that.
Also the cartoon is kept warm, but we sleep with the windows open so not comfortable for them until they can regulate. :(

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok we figured it out. Heating pad on one side of the closet, lots of towels on the floor, a felt blanket over the closet door opening and a box to block the kittens from stepping out. Mum is purring and happy in there. She started moving them in as soon as I showed her the space. I figure it's for a week or two until the are too big and go back to the catroom.

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok we figured it out. Heating pad on one side of the closet, lots of towels on the floor, a felt blanket over the closet door opening and a box to block the kittens from stepping out. Mum is purring and happy in there. She started moving them in as soon as I showed her the space. I figure it's for a week or two until the are too big and go back to the catroom.
So this worked briefly. She's been trying to put the kittens under our bed (it's super low and not safe) I've spent the whole night putting them back in their nest. They arent whining, they are sleeping and she grabs them and drags them out. I don't know what to do. Should I put her and the nest back in the cat room, and hope she leaves her kitten in the nest box? My primary worry is the kittens temp as she tends to just plump them down on the wood floor which is cold.

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this worked briefly. She's been trying to put the kittens under our bed (it's super low and not safe) I've spent the whole night putting them back in their nest. They arent whining, they are sleeping and she grabs them and drags them out. I don't know what to do. Should I put her and the nest back in the cat room, and hope she leaves her kitten in the nest box? My primary worry is the kittens temp as she tends to just plump them down on the wood floor which is cold.
we ended up putting her and the babies back in the cat room. She has several nest options there and there is a space heater in case she plops them somewhere. She just wants to bring the kittens to us but it's not safe. Our dog is a sweetheart but he is big and she kept dropping the kittens next to him, every half hour I had to get up and move them back. I think I slept maybe 2 hours max. At least now they are away from the large dog so safer, hopefully she will settle down. I feel she started the moving pattern when we came back from the vet.

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the kitten with the sneeze : she is still congested, sounds like she has a bad cold, sneezing, clear mucus still but meowing in frustration. Vet could not see her today they are volunteer run and would not be able to see her just told to keep an eye out and call them if she gets worse.

She feeds from mum but stops due to congested nose, so she's not gaining weight. I've done saline drops, hot steam shower, humidifier is running near kitten nest. The two first seemed to help, after the drops she drooled/sneezed out clear snotty mucus.

She ate from a syringe but barely 1ml before she turned away. She's not a fan of bottle or syringe and I'm not a confident feeder.

1-Can I syringe feed her Pedialyte to help with dehydration, mixed with formula?
2- she's feeding from mum, so I've "washed" mums belly with one drop of cat shampoo on a wet cloth and rinsed after. I'm worried about transmission of disease. Is that silly? (All the blankets are changed daily).

Anything else I can do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can mix formula with clear Pedialyte instead of water, but it sounds like she needs a round of Clavamox. Would the vet let you pick up a prescription since she’s not able to feed well and is losing weight?

I’m never a fan of doing the “wait and see” routine with tiny kittens.

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can mix formula with clear Pedialyte instead of water, but it sounds like she needs a round of Clavamox. Would the vet let you pick up a prescription since she’s not able to feed well and is losing weight?

I’m never a fan of doing the “wait and see” routine with tiny kittens.
I'm not a fan either. I get they are volunteer based but I wish they gave us an emergency kit and guideline. I mentioned it to the foster family contact. I'll see if they can do clavamox for me but I got no hope.

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you try a different vet? She needs help or could go into failure to thrive.
There is no vet open where I am currently and emergency vet are several hours from here. I gave her homemade Pedialyte, and she is suckling from mom. I'll feed her again tonight and give her more electrolyte. I'm doing my best but going to a vet right now is not an option.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand your predicament, but I do hope something more can be done in the next day or two through your coordinators. I’m just worried for the kitten. I know you’re doing your best!

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was able to see the vet this am! So they think it's a palette issue. She grew faster than that little cartilage soft tissue thing can grow, milk is coming up her nose and causing an inflammation, which causes her not to latch on properly. She's still nice and strong, she's on clavamox, got subq fluids and I was shown how to properly syringe feed. She was fighting everyone like a true champion and waddled back in her carrier like she was ready to go home.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness she’s being treated. Does the vet think her palate will correct itself? It’s not a cleft problem, is it? Or might it be?

I love hearing how feisty she is!

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness she’s being treated. Does the vet think her palate will correct itself? It’s not a cleft problem, is it? Or might it be?

I love hearing how feisty she is!
They don't think it's cleft palate. They think It's the soft tissue/cartilage part right before the "flap" that prevents liquids from going up the nose. That cartilage isnt growing at the rate the kitten is growing so milk is coming up her nose. It will eventually grow out but in the meantime I'm to supplement her feeding and I have clavamox to preveent any potential infection in the lungs. Hopefully she will pull through.

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gained a bit more weight, she finally is understanding I'm feeding her not trying to hurt her. I had to set her up like this as I was working and had to feed her during a meeting lol. She's supposed to get 10ml every 4 hours but I've noticed at 5 ML is where she loses interest. I keep the formula warm. Today I'm feeding her every two hours/5ml instead because I don't want to stress her out. That's ok right? She got her third dose of clavamox so hopefully by tonight or tomorrow she will have a bigger appetite.

Attachments

laccueildeschats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it ok to feed her a bit more. She lost weight last week but now her appetite has been increasing and she is furiously suckling the kmr I'm giving her. I'm supposed to syringe feed her(so she can breath between feeds) 10ml every four hours but it doesn't look like enough, she grabs the syringe, holds on to the nipple after. Can I increase by one or two ML maybe? She's around 275gr now.