Weeping Eye

Julie50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats (they are male twins both almost 4) appears to have a persistently weeping left eye. He is the more nervous one and even trying to bathe the eye is a bit of a problem. They are both house cats and the other one does not have this problem at all. Obviously, they share both cat litter trays (one is for urinating and the other for other matters). Godfrey does not seem to be bothered by it but it is a little worrying to me. In the photo it does not look as bad as usual but you get the situation. Any ideas?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Can you use a q-tip to get the wetness?
My boy has a weepy eye but it's not a problem other than me keeping up with the times it gets dirty and a little crusty.
Have you had a chance to ask your vet if his eye is ok?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julie50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can use a tissue now and again. He is not very accommodating to be honest with such things. His brother, Bernard, will let me do his claws etc but Godfrey needs an Armed Response Team on standby for such things!

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can use a tissue now and again. He is not very accommodating to be honest with such things. His brother, Bernard, will let me do his claws etc but Godfrey needs an Armed Response Team on standby for such things!
Lol on the Armed Response Team because Lulu here is the same way and she definitely let's me know when she doesn't like something. Have you tried scruffing him while cleaning his eye? This may not work but might be worth a try. Good luck!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Or a kitty purrito?
If you do scruff, be sure and double-check on the right way to do it, and ALWAYS support the cats' body. It would be a three-handed job in this case, unless you can get your cat between your knees?

Last edited:

Julie50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, indeed. Not too sure what "scruff" means but I do get the gist of it. It is only between the knees and safety gloves etc. I generally look like either Walter White from Breaking Bad or Dustin Hoffman in Outbreak.....Lord have mercy.

Vanhorne86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats (they are male twins both almost 4) appears to have a persistently weeping left eye. He is the more nervous one and even trying to bathe the eye is a bit of a problem. They are both house cats and the other one does not have this problem at all. Obviously, they share both cat litter trays (one is for urinating and the other for other matters). Godfrey does not seem to be bothered by it but it is a little worrying to me. In the photo it does not look as bad as usual but you get the situation. Any ideas?
One of mine had very weepy and gooey eyes, the vet recommended eye drops (literally the ones designed for humans) twice a day and it pretty much instantly stopped the problem!

Julie50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you mean like Golden Eye Ointment? I am in the UK and know I used it on both my rabbit and husband (which sounds weird - and obviously not at the same time) but that was about 25 years ago now.

SpottyKitti

Master KitKat- Spotty
Young Cat
Purraise
This happened to my cat, it could be an eye infection. My cat had a weepy eye too!
If your cats eye if inflamed and red she/he could have a pinkeye.
If the discharge is sticky and yellow she/he probably has an infection.
It could also mean he/she could be allergic to something.
If her/his eyes is cloudy or she/he rubs his/her head and squints she/he probably has an Eye Ulcer.
If your cats watery eyes dont clear up I suggest you take him/her to the vet for a checkout.